Sometimes, you just gotta give it up to the universe. Yeah, sure, there's poverty, corruption, injustice, 2 Broke Girls and all that other bad stuff, but when you're living in a world that makes news like this possible, what can you do but shake your head and chuckle to yourself? If there's one thing that everyone in the world can agree on being awesome, it's The Wire. If there's a second thing that everyone in the world can agree on being awesome, it's the Wu-Tang Clan. Now the two forces of unequivocal awesomeness are going to converge in the most awesome way possible, with the best actor from the show playing the best character form the rap group.
Yes, that's right: Michael K. Williams, a.k.a. Omar Devone Little, will be playing Russell Tyrone Jones, a.k.a. Dirt McGirt, a.k.a. Osirus, a.k.a. Big Baby Jesus, a.k.a. the OL' DIRTY BASTARD BROOKLYYYYYYYN ZOO in the upcoming film focusing on the final years of O.D.B.'s life, entitled Dirty White Boy.
This is, truly, the best thing that could happen. The only other thing we can think of that's even remotely comparable would be Clarissa Explains it All-era Melissa Joan Hart playing Kim Gordon in the story of Sonic Youth, and that doesn't even remotely make any kind of sense. Our only hope now is that the rest of the cast is also populated by Wire alums. We see it shaking out like this:
- Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale) playing Ghostface Killah
- Hassan Johnson (Wee-Bey Brice) playing Raekwon the Chef
- Andre Royo (Bubbles) playing the RZA
- Method Man (Cheese) playing the GZA
- Larry Gilliam, Jr. (D'Angelo) playing Method Man
- Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) playing Diddy
- Robert F. Chew (Prop Joe) playing Suge Knight (for some reason)
- Sonja Sohn (Kima Griggs) playing Kelis
- James Ransone (Ziggy Sobotka) playing a rotating cast of U-God, Inspectah Deck and Masta Killa, as needed.
Best movie ever. We've already bought our tickets for opening night.