Over the first half of 2012, we've more than documented the extent to which the crush-producing, squeal-inducing boy band genre is back on the music market, and Big Bang's dominance in our own Pop-Off competition is no exception. The Seoul-based quintet crushed its Week One competitor (Katy Perry) with 2.2 million votes, and has another victory on the horizon (but there's still time, Far*East Movement—voting ends on Sunday!). The group boasts a fervent fan base and award-winning hairstyles, making them ripe for a full-blown takeover in the States. In addition to praise here on the 'dust, Big Bang has amassed more than a few #1s in South Korea and Japan over the course of two studio albums, with a rising place on the Billboard Social 50 chart and an upcoming LP out later this year.
If you're still deciding between One Direction and The Wanted, or have had your day turned upside down by the 98 Degrees reunion news, we'd advise you to hold off on declaring your eternal allegiance until you've run through our list of why Seungri, G-Dragon, Taeyang, T.O.P and Daesung will be the next
prevailing cosmological model large musical explosion to hit the U.S.
1. G-DRAGON WARDS OFF HATERS (AND ALSO POSSIBLY VAMPIRES)
2. T.O.P. IS ALWAYS READY FOR A SPONTANEOUS STAGING OF HAMLET
3. DAESUNG'S RIGHT EYE IS PERFECT
It's just resting. What's wrong with your right eye?
4. TAEYANG IS A BELIEBER
And he was, Taeeeeyang, Taeeeeyang, Taeeeeyang, ohhhhhh.
5. SEUNG-RI ISN'T AFRAID OF RIPPED DENIM
6. G-DRAGON LIKES TO SMOLDER
Please don't bother him while he's smoldering.
7. TAEYANG BELIEVES ROBBING FREIGHT TRAINS IS STILL A THING
8. T.O.P. DOES A GREAT G-DRAGON IMPRESSION
Oh no, you didn't just mix up T.O.P. with G-Dragon, did you?
9. DAESUNG THINKS BEFORE HE SPEAKS
10. SEUNG-RI GETS HUNGRY IN THE MIDDLE OF LONG PHOTO SHOOTS
We all need our snacktime.
11. THE GUYS AREN'T AFRAID OF MAKING A LITTLE MESS
12. COMPARED TO OTHER BOY BANDS, THEY'VE BEEN KNOWN TO DANCE
13. THEY GROUP HAS ALREADY BEEN HEAVILY DECORATED
With awards. Don't even get us started on the bedazzling!
14. THEY'RE BRINGING BACK THE MUSHROOM CUT
Everyone loves the '90s.
15. THEY'RE NOT AFRAID TO SHOW OFF THEIR BODIES
Another connection to The Bieb.
16. THEY DEFY GRAVITY
Allow them to whisk you away.