While we're still in the middle of Fashion Month, the runways have been lit with stunning fashion artistry and trends to look out for. Since the Oscars are upon us, we've combed through the runway styles from Spring/Summer '17 as well as Fall/Winter '17 to see what looks we expect to see on the award show's red carpet this weekend! Here are our top 5 trends to watch out for this Sunday at the Oscars:
- Feathers - Old Hollywood glamour will be in full effect with feather detailing and statements on gowns. For the full on glitz look, we're likely to see them paired with dresses that are beaded and crystalized; not holding back on the sparkle and shine we love to see at the Academy Awards. With their stunning looks and classic Hollywood glamour, we'd love to see Emma Stone or Naomie Harris dazzling us in one of these gowns!
- Bold Shoulders - We expect to see some 80's throwbacks with big statement shoulders and sleeves coming down the red carpet. They could come on very structured pieces or perhaps combine with a drapey satin fabric to make for some loud, flowy sleeves. This would be worn by someone who isn't afraid to make bold choices when it comes to fashion: typically we'd favor Cate Blanchett for this look, but Michelle Williams and Isabelle Huppert may also be up to the challenge.
- Pink - Dusty pink or rose quartz is a popular color for this spring. Specifically Pantone's "Pale Dogwood," is a tone getting plenty of attention. We're sure to see lots of rosy hues and floral details embellishing the Oscar's red carpet. We would love to see this color on Viola Davis and Natalie Portman - both ladies would absolutely glow and stun in any gown adorning this shade.
- Corsets - Structured, lingerie inspired pieces are definitely going to be coming down the red carpet this weekend. With their inherent feminine sexiness, corsets can be adorned and embellished or left bare with boning and structure plain and visible, and still be bold, sultry, and coquettish all at once. Our dream nominee to wear this style of gown is definitely Ruth Negga - we can absolutely visualize her wearing an art deco inspired corset gown and owning the carpet in it! Another style icon and fellow nominee who would be perfect for this style is, of course, Nicole Kidman.
- Drousers - Seen most prominently down the Elie Saab runways, this dress-jumpsuit hybrid is incredibly fashion-forward, cool, and bold. Octavia Spencer would look amazing wearing a pastel colored drouser gown with strappy heels at the Oscars. We would also love to see Meryl Streep wearing this look in a jewel tone!
Prabal Gurung NYFWTwitter: @CandiceSLovers
Michael Costello NYFWTwitter: @HoneyMag
Lela Rose NYFWTwitter: @abitosposa
Michael Costello NYFWTwitter: @MsCastroRides
Elie Saab NYFWTwitter: @Harpersbazaarcl
So, here are our predictions, and we can't wait to take a break and escape our real world problems next Sunday by tuning into the Oscars and seeing how many of our runway style choices make it down the red carpet!