Baz Luhrmann's 1996 Romeo + Juliet is an ecstasy-infused, colorful retelling of the star-crossed lovers' tale that takes a 425-year-old story and strangely reflects society in 2020.
Pandemics are known for triggering upheaval and societal change.
It's probably no coincidence, then, that Shakespeare penned Romeo and Juliet around 1595—directly in the middle of the deadly Bubonic plague pandemic that ravaged Europe. Amidst today's pandemic, the most relevant adaptation of this timeless and classic tragedy was made nearly 25 years ago.
Baz Luhrmann's 1996 Romeo + Juliet is an ecstasy-infused, colorful retelling of the star-crossed lovers' tale. Romeo + Juliet made a decent ranking at the box office, but it was heavily overlooked for awards, only receiving one Oscar nomination for best art direction.
Had Luhrmann waited just 10 years to release Romeo + Juliet, there may have been more positive reactions to the film. At one point, Baz himself doubted that the movie would ever be made. During a 2015 interview discussing the film, Baz said: "When we went to Twentieth Century-Fox with it, under the terms of my first-look deal, I think rather than let me go, they sort of said, 'We'll give him $100,000, let him do his little workshop and maybe it'll go away.' Well it did not."
Romeo + Juliet takes a 425-year-old story and strangely reflects society in 2020. Here's why:
Are they real? Who cares?
Everyone has heard of the murder-hotel where dark shadows creep at the edge of your vision, or the abandoned house where the furniture moves each time you leave the room.
But sometimes the places set up to capture the fun and fright of the Halloween season for paying customers can be far more horrifying than any ghost stories. These "fake" haunted houses will leave you genuinely haunted.
- The SCARIEST HAUNTED HOUSE In The WORLD ( McKamey ... ›
- The best cities to celebrate Halloween - The Journiest - NYC ›
- Hauntworld: Scariest haunted houses in America to visit for Halloween ›
- Scariest haunted house in U.S. requires 40-page waiver ... - Chicago ›
- 7 Abandoned Mansions That Are Definitely Haunted - The ... - NYC ›
- Your Definitive Guide to Halloween in New York City - The Journiest ›
- Haunted House Is So Scary They Offer $20,000 To Anyone Who ... ›
- The scariest haunted house attractions in the US - Insider ›
- The 7 Scariest Haunted Houses Will Scare the S*!# Out of You | The ... ›
- Simulated torture, underwear-only haunted houses: How did the ... ›
- Welcome To Mckamey Manor: The World's Scariest Haunted House ›
- World's scariest and most exclusive haunted house with a 24,000 ... ›
- 'Scariest' haunted house will pay $20K to escape, but you can't run ... ›
- 'Not Much Scares Me.' Then She Entered the Haunted House. - The ... ›
The young prime minister of Finland has received a mix of backlash and support for her Trendi photoshoot.
Sanna Marin is a beautiful, 34-year-old woman with striking blue eyes, flowing hair, and a charming smile.
As of last December, she also happens to be the prime minister of Finland, and as one of the youngest national leaders in the world. But are those two aspects of her identity even compatible? Is it possible for her to be a serious political figure while still embracing her youth and beauty?