A Barbara Walters impression teamed up with tequila shots to turn Anderson Cooper into a beautiful, hysterical mess
2020 has just gotten started, and on tonight's edition of Anderson Cooper 360, we can probably expect some updates on how the entire continent of Australia is currently on fire.
No doubt the coming year will offer plenty of apocalyptic weather events and political drama that will have us all pulling our hair out—election day here we come! But the good news is that the new year has already produced one of those rare, shining moments of pure joy that make it possible to crawl out of bed and face the ugliness of the world each morning.
'SNL' alum revives Barbara Walters character, Anderson Cooper loses it www.youtube.com
It's all thanks to an unlikely petition on Change.org, recalling an iconic TV slogan from 15 years past. Barbara Walters, who hosted the ABC program 20/20 until 2004, would always open the show with the phrase, "I'm Barbara Walters, and this is 20/20." The petition to have her host the annual ball drop and ring in the New Year with that phrase was started in January of 2019, and by the end of December it had only managed to collect around 7,000 signatures. It wasn't enough to make that vision a reality, but it was enough to get a shout out in CNN's New Year's Eve coverage. And with the help of a former SNL cast member and several scorching shots of tequila, that shout out turned into something truly spectacular.
This is 2020 www.youtube.com
It's maybe not that surprising that CNN was unable to get the real, 90-year-old Barbara Walters to brave the crowds and the cold of Times Square for the midnight announcement. Fortunately, Cheri Oteri was on hand to provide the next best thing. Reprising the impression of Walters that she perfected in her days on SNL, Oteri brushed off a suggestion that she could return to The View, and instead pitched a reality show following Walters' jet-setting lifestyle, populated by a cast of geriatric former celebrities who are somehow all still alive—Kirk Douglas is 103!—and some imaginary senior-specific dating apps, such as "Loose Skin." The material itself is worth a laugh, and if you're old enough to have a memory of Barbara Walters on 20/20, then you probably know how good Oteri's impression is, but what makes the moment truly special is Anderson Cooper's hysterical, buckled-over laughter.
As it turns out, the shots of tequila that co-host Andy Cohen kept giving to Cooper as the night wore on really did their job, leaving Cooper loose and goofy by the time Oteri started turning to the camera to deliver, "This is 2020." The pure joy he unleashes as a result is impossible to resist. What makes it even better is going back to see footage of Cohen and Cooper throwing back those tequila shots and Cooper taking each one like a mouthful of pure fire. After each one goes down, Anderson Cooper's cool and collected demeanor devolves into paroxysms of shrieking, gasping disgust that finally prompt Cohen to ask, "Are you kidding?!" to which Cooper can only say, "I don't drink!"
Anderson Cooper trying to drink tequila on television www.youtube.com
Clearly his lack of tolerance is a testament to that. But why don't you drink, Anderson? You're so fun when you drink! This is not intended as an endorsement of any unhealthy habits—the best medical advice dictates that drinking should be reserved for special occasions and restricted to moderate portions—but have you ever considered getting hammered during all of your broadcasts? It might not align with professional journalistic standards, but I'm sure that a lot more people would tune into Anderson Cooper 360 if every episode involved you attacking your throat with liquor and collapsing in a fit of giggles.
If anyone wants to start that petition on Change.org, you can add my name to the list. For now, we'll just make do with this clip and try to find some more of these joyful little gems to help us survive 2020 while the world around us burns.
- [WATCH] Anderson Cooper, Andy Cohen, Lindsay Lohan [VIDEO] ›
- Anderson Cooper: Trump is Not Just a Drunk Idiot, He's President ›
- CNN's Don Lemon Won Twitter on New Year's Eve (Again) | Time ›
- NYE: Anderson Cooper Struggles Mightily With Tequila Shots, Gets ... ›
- Anderson Cooper: Lady Gaga Got Me Drunk | HuffPost ›
- CNN televised its news anchors getting drunk on New Year's Eve ... ›
- CNN anchors were drinking on the air on New Year's Eve — again ... ›
- Anderson Cooper Has an Adorable Giggle Fit in CNN Blooper Reel ... ›
- Anderson Cooper Can't Stop Giggling As Cheri Oteri Revives ... ›
- Anderson Cooper can't stop laughing while discussing Gerard ... ›
- Anderson Cooper Calls His Laughter About Gerard Depardieu ... ›
- Anderson Cooper Breaks Into Uncontrollable Fit of Laughter During ... ›
- Anderson Cooper on 'RidicuList' for 2nd giggle fit - YouTube ›
- Anderson Cooper cracks up over Trump's wine preference - CNN ... ›
If you cling to outdated ideas, you are choosing to be left behind.
A relative recently reached out to express concern that I was sharing ageist sentiments on the Internet.
She didn't have to specify which content had bothered her. I knew she was talking about my attacks on "boomers."
- Fox Media's "Okay Boomer" Trademark is Peak Boomer Energy ... ›
- A Guide For Talking to Boomers - Popdust ›
- OK, boomer. The kids are fighting back. - The Washington Post ›
- 'OK boomer' is dividing generations. What does it mean? ›
- OK, Boomer: This Is How To Respond To Gen Z's New Meme ›
- 'OK, Boomer' Vs. 'OK, Millennial': Workplace Nightmare, Or Just A ... ›
- "OK, boomer": 25-year-old lawmaker shuts down heckler during ... ›
- What does “OK boomer” mean? The meme, explained - Vox ›
- 'OK Boomer' Marks the End of Friendly Generational Relations - The ... ›
Please stop me.
Post Malone is the poet laureate of all beer-drunken hearts, and his astute observations on life, love, and intoxication deserve to be taken far too seriously.
As a freshly graduated English major who just moved to Brooklyn, I feel that it's my personal responsibility to share my philosophical musings with the world. Sadly, very few people read books anymore, so I've decided to apply my degree to something I love but that also may meet the masses on their terms: the exquisitely poetic lyrics of the one and only Post Malone.
- Post Malone Talks New Album, Courtney Love, and COVID-19 on Nirvana Livestream - Popdust ›
- Listen to Post Malone Cover Nirvana Songs Live This Friday - Popdust ›
- Post Malone Lyrics ›
- 20 Post Malone Song Lyrics & Music Videos From Today's Newly ... ›
- Post Malone lyrics, songs and albums | LyricsFreak ›
- Post Malone's 'Wow.' Lyrics | Billboard ›
- The five most peak Post Malone lyrics on 'Hollywood's Bleeding' ›
- Post Malone - Die For Me (Lyrics) ft. Future, Halsey - YouTube ›
- Post Malone Song Lyrics | MetroLyrics ›
- Post Malone - circles (Lyrics) - YouTube ›
- Post Malone Lyrics, Songs, and Albums | Genius ›
- Post Malone Lyrics ›