To best capture the zeitgeist of end-of-the-world activism, here are some of the best protest signs from the climate strike.
While climate strikers attempted to shut down Washington, D.C. on Monday, the movement to stop climate change has already gifted us with immediate results.
Granted, policy makers didn't leap to action and a hoax even circulated Facebook that hypocritical "eco warriors" had trashed Hyde Park in London while protesting (a bogus claim that was quickly debunked). But on Monday, the United Nations held their Climate Action Summit for world leaders to create "concrete, realistic plans." A U.N. official said the meeting could be a "slingshot" to mobilize world leaders to reduce emissions and limit global warming. Even Donald Trump, who was not scheduled to attend, made an unexpected appearance.
But no, the most immediate gratification from climate strike is the bevy of protest signs that mix calls to action with meme culture, text speak, and cult classic teen movies. Led by 16-year-old Greta Thunberg, the Global Climate Strike movement resulted in strikes in 150 countries, spanning across all 7 continents. The demands, as listed on the climate strike website, are simple: "We need to act right now to stop burning fossil fuels and ensure a rapid energy revolution with equity, reparations and climate justice at its heart."
In New York City, over 250,000 protesters took over downtown Manhattan, thousands more marched in major cities like Denver and Chicago, and #ShutDownDC became a trending topic on Twitter as protesters continued the movement in the nation's capital. To best capture the zeitgeist of end-of-the-world activism, here are some of the best protest signs from the climate strike.
- Hollywood Is Terrible at Climate Change Movies. Here Are 7 of the Best - Popdust ›
- Gisele Bündchen, Pharrell Williams, and Celebrities Fighting Climate Change - Popdust ›
- 10 of the Best Signs from the Global Youth Climate Strike | Teen ... ›
- Youth climate strike: 8 young people in New York on why they joined ... ›
- Global Climate Strike: Best signs from protests around the world ... ›
- Global Climate Strike: The best signs from Friday's protests around ... ›
- Best Global Climate Change Protest Signs 2019 Ideas ›
- The Best Signs From The Climate Strike ›
- The best climate strike signs from around the globe - in pictures | US ... ›
- Climate Strike 2019: The Best Protest Signs ›
Protest music aside, there is a slew of good underground music out today
An invigorating slew of protest music hit the shelves today.
Detroit-based emcee Tee Grizzley collaborated with Queen Naija and the Detroit Youth Choir to craft a melodic ballad that attempts to open up a dialogue with police. Meanwhile, alt-Jazz pioneer Terrace Martin took a different approach in his collaboration with Denzel Curry, Daylyt, G Perico, and Kamasi Washington, with "Pigs Feet" being more of an angry f*ck you than an attempt at communication.