"How can you have an opinion about who you want for the leader of the free world when the guy running doesn't have answers to any questions? Except for a f***ing wall! That's never going to happen, give me a break. You know, dude, I just think it's been mass manipulation," Billie Joe Armstrong declares.
When PopDust saw Green Day at Webster Hall in October, the band was pretty quiet on the topic of the election. There was definitely a "don't trust Fox News" sentiment, but nothing overtly anti-Trump. This was perhaps a surprise for those who listened to 2004's American Idiot or watched any of the frontman's Bush bashing on the subsequent tour.
But things have heated up. Despite the Republican candidate declaring during the third presidential debate that he might not accept the election results , despite audio leaked of him talking about grabbing women "by the pussy," despite the suspiciously-sniffly serpent creepily tweeting at 5 am in the morning telling people to look for Alicia Machado's alleged (but never confirmed) sex tape, he is leading in the election.
So lets hear from the punk rock community:
There's the Billie Joe we know.
"There's this white nationalism that's been brewing under the radar for a long time. But now (Trump's) been able to cause people to lash out and blame minorities and it's really confusing. I mean, blatant misogyny going on at the same time," Armstrong told NME magazine.
He isn't exaggerating. For those who have been avoiding all media for the past week, the KKK openly endorsed Trump for president in their official newspaper. (BTW, who the f**k subscribes to that newspaper?) The kooky-killjoy-klan argued: "America was founded as a White Christian Republic. And as a White Christian Republic it became great." Thats an amusing (albeit terrifying) interpretation of wildly dumbed-down history.
Now is a time for people other than hate-fueled racists to use their freedom of speech. I'm personally hoping Green Day and the rest of the music community continue to speak out, regardless of election results. Hey, as long as it isn't Hip-Hop, Trump might actually understand you.
- Billie Joe Armstrong - Wikipedia ›
- Billie Joe Armstrong (@BJAofficial) | Twitter ›
- Billie Joe Armstrong (@billiejoearmstrong) • Instagram photos and ... ›
- Billie Joe Armstrong - IMDb ›
- Billie Joe Armstrong on Green Day's Provocative New LP - Rolling ... ›
- Billie Joe Armstrong Talks 2012 Onstage Meltdown + Rehab ›
- Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong Is A Washed-Up Ex-Punk In This ... ›
- Billie Joe Armstrong | Rolling Stone ›
- BILLIE JOE VOICE CHANGE 1994-2016 - YouTube ›
- Green Day Frontman Billie Joe Armstrong: Trump is 'F*cking Hitler ... ›