His face speaks to the pain and fear of renewed hope.
America cannot help itself when it comes to Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston.
Emma McIntyre/Getty Images
Anytime they're in the same room together, a series of sirens immediately goes off in the offices of various tabloids and celebrity magazines. A familiar race kicks off to publish an updated carbon copy of a thousand previous articles with a handful of new pictures and some wild speculation about the two of them getting back together.
It's been happening since they divorced, 15 years ago, but has obviously accelerated since they both became single—Aniston having divorced Justin Theroux in 2017, while Pitt and Angelina Jolie finalized their prolonged divorce process last summer. We seem to have collectively decided that we all know these celebrities' lives better than they know themselves.
The story goes like this: Brad and Jen should never have broken up. The early 2000s were clearly the happiest time in both their lives, and the whole mess in 2005 was just one big misunderstanding orchestrated by Jolie's evil seduction on the set of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. We want them to need each other, and we need them to want to get back together. How we pieced together the entirety of their private lives through telephoto lenses and third-hand rumors remains a mystery, but we've done it, and we know what's best for them. We just know.
Emma McIntyre/Getty Images
That's what makes the strange man lurking in the background of their latest interaction so upsetting. It's unclear what his role at the SAG Awards was—a member of security? Event staff? Brad and Jen were nominated for their performances in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Morning Show—they both won—but what is this tall, broad shouldered stranger doing there? He seems designed to project strength, but he just can't. Not with the scene that's unfolding before him—with Jen's hand pressing against Brad's chest, Brad holding her wrist as if to make that touch linger a little longer. The strange man lurking in the background is allowing his pain to show through his façade of strength. He is wounded. Wringing his hands. He's been burned by this hope before—allowed himself to feel a glimmer of love again through the imagined restoration of this lost, perfect couple.
And now Brad has quit drinking and settled the custody dispute with Jolie. We can't help but wonder if he is finally mature enough to be stable and strong for Jen—who is two years out from her second marriage and looked as amazing as ever in a sheer, silvery-white dress. And there in the background, those pleading eyes are staring at Brad Pitt, begging him not to hurt us again. Don't hold onto her hand like that if you don't mean it. Don't look into her shining eyes with that charming smile if you aren't ready to commit to an entire country full of desperate shippers.
I don't know who the large, sad man in these pictures is, but I don't need to, because we are all him, and he is us—wanting to believe in love again, but so frightened of being hurt.
Emma McIntyre/Getty Images
- Billy Bob Thornton Denies Cheating With Amber Heard - Popdust ›
- Want To Look Younger Without Surgery? Dr Youn Tells You How ... ›
- The Golden Globes Nominated No Female Directors Again - Popdust ›
- Did Brad Pitt Have A Facelift Or Is He Just Magic? - Popdust ›
- Wedding Wednesday—5 Facts About The Jason Biggs And Jenny ... ›
- How Real Is Brad Pitt—Plastic Fantastic Or Au Naturel? - Popdust ›
- Brad Pitt And George Clooney? - Popdust ›
- Before They Were Stars—Brad Pitt Pre-Fame Jobs - Popdust ›
- Watch Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston Reunite and Win BIG! | SAG ... ›
- Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt's red carpet run-in 15 years after breakup ... ›
- SAG Awards: Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston share moment after ... ›
- Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt 'flirtatious at times' following Christmas ... ›
- Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston Had the Sweetest Reunion at the ... ›
- Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston reunited at the SAG Awards ›
- Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt Relationship Timeline from Dating to ... ›
- Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston: Let's not project our feelings onto the ... ›
- Brad Pitt! Jennifer Aniston! SAG Awards! Here is everything we know! ›
- The Truth About Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston's Current Relationship ›
Happy birthday to the world's biggest genre
On this day in 1973, Clive Campbell, the Jamaican-American "selector" known as DJ Kool Herc, hosted a "back to school jam" at 1520 Sedgewick Avenue in the Boogie Down Bronx of New York City.
Armed with a booming sound system and reggae beats, Herc– a shortened nickname for "Hercules"– commanded insatiable audiences across the South Bronx with his unique looping technique called the "Merry-Go Round." "[I knew that] they were waiting for this particular break," Herc later said, "and I got a couple of records that got the same break up in it. I wonder how it would be if I put them all together."
- On This Day: Bob Marley and The Wailers Made the Greatest ... ›
- On This Day: "Killing Me Softly" Broke Up The Fugees - Popdust ›
- On This Day: Aretha Franklin's "Respect" Is More Important Than Ever ›
- On This Day, “Madvillainy” Changed Hip-Hop Forever - Popdust ›
Raymond's popularity sheds light on a bizarre underside of the Animal Crossing fandom.
Raymond is a smug cat who highlights his heterochromatic eyes with hipster glasses.
He is essentially the same exact character as every other Animal Crossing villager with a "Smug" personality type, but again, and this is very important, Raymond is a cat with heterochromatic eyes and hipster glasses. As such, he has completely broken the Animal Crossing community.
- Terraforming Changes How We Experience Animal Crossing ... ›
- People Are Going on Dates in the "Animal Crossing: New Horizons ... ›
- The Worst Animal Crossing Villagers, Ranked - Popdust ›