On the Geometry of Romance
Are you whole?
You may feel like a full person, because you exist in a single body. Because every thought you've ever had occurs in the same place. Because people call you by your name. But are you whole?
When Oliver (Armie Hammer) and Elio (Timothee Chalamet) first lay in bed together in Call Me By Your Name, it is the moment of peak closeness—a resolved tension, of two opposite forces finally drawn into one another. Oliver strokes Elio's hair: "Call me by your name," he says, "and I'll call you by mine." The frame is angled yet near-perfectly symmetrical, and upside-down so as to confuse your brain's natural instinct to draw lines of distinction. It's difficult to discern where Oliver's body begins and Elio's ends. Their faces align so perfectly that they create a new shape in between.
Oliver's choice of words is entirely unexpected, strange, even fetishistic. But it's so common that people convey strange thoughts in expressing love. Here's an example: "You complete me."
I think I know what incompleteness is, and I think you do too. It's being alone in a crowd, or at home in the dark after a long night. It's witnessing someone who would surely fit perfectly to all your jagged edges and twisted curves, if only you were able to come together. It's that vacuum you might try to fill with money or drugs or accolades. The first heartbreak of Call Me By Your Name comes at a dance party, with Elio sitting and longingly watching as Oliver kisses a woman to the Psychedelic Furs' "Love My Way" on the dance floor. They feel a mile apart as the camera sits directly between the two, exaggerating their distance. This is Elio not whole. This is the incomplete...
Fundamentally, Call Me is a queer coming of age film about a summer romance. But the least interesting element of the story is what it's about. You'll have already gathered from the movie trailer or poster that Elio and Oliver end up in a romance, and that spoiler is okay: the through line isn't whether they get together, but how they fit together, and how they shape one another. Every emotion, every click of the drama comes in the minutia of social behaviors: the implication of the consistency of a peach; jumping into the cold water or just dipping your feet in; a conversation that pivots on a dime from casual to dire under the code of vague language. Every movement is a reaction that either pushes or draws together the two men.
The film moves in these anxieties of incompleteness: in not yet knowing who you are, not yet having what you desire, or having and losing the thing that seemed make you you. As Elio sits watching Oliver dance, as he considers whether it's better to speak his mind or die, I can't help but recall those times in my own life—perhaps you've had them, too—when I didn't go dance, and when I didn't speak up. The times that left me void.
When they do finally get together, Oliver and Elio make shapes. In the way their bodies coil around one another, or by the ridges of their noses just about...but not...quite...touching... When together, the hot air between them seems to take on its own form. The closer they are the greater the symmetry, like the symmetry of the names Elio and Oliver, or the symmetry of the sentence "Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine."
POP⚡ DUST | Read More…
If you really want to get an Animal Crossing player passionate, ask them which villager they hate the most.
Ask any Animal Crossing: New Horizons player which villager is their favorite and they'll probably tell you about a cute, cuddly animal who says sweet things and sends nice gifts (or possibly Roald, the chubby penguin who loves working out).
Roald is the best villager, no question.Nintendo
But if you really want to get an Animal Crossing player passionate, ask them which villager they hate the most. As it turns out, in a game filled to the brim with relaxation and joy, there's still a surprising amount of room for hatred, and all of it is directed at the absolute bottom-tier villagers who move into your perfect town with their ugly appearances and garbage personalities to turn your animal utopia into a rancid dump.
- "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" Has All the QoL Improvements ... ›
- Did Nintendo Create COVID-19 to Make "Animal Crossing: New ... ›
- People Are Going on Dates in the "Animal Crossing: New Horizons ... ›
- Animal Crossing New Horizons Is a Blueprint for Functional ... ›
- Raymond the Smug Cat and the Dark Underbelly of Animal Crossing - Popdust ›
- AOC Is Playing Animal Crossing & Responded to a Trump Troll - Popdust ›
- Nintendo Switch Games to Play in Quarantine While You Wait for the Next Day in "Animal Crossing" - Popdust ›
- The 7 Fastest Ways to Earn Bells on "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" - Popdust ›
- Leif and Redd Bring High Culture to Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Popdust ›
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the best Animal Crossing game ... ›
- Top 10 Best Animal Crossing Villagers, Ranked ›
- List of Villagers Based on Popularity ›
- The 10 Cutest Villagers From Animal Crossing, Ranked | Game Rant ›
- The 10 Weirdest Villagers From Animal Crossing, Ranked | TheGamer ›
- Animal Crossing Villager Species TIER LIST! - YouTube ›
Meowth is best cat.
Going into Pokemon Sword and Shield, I was unimpressed with the new starter Pokemon.
Meh.The Pokemon Company
I normally gravitate towards fire-type starters, but Cinderace was a little too humanoid-rabbit-wearing-pants for my tastes. Inteleon was just "lol no." Rillaboom hit the closest to my usual favorite powerhouse aesthetic (think Charizard, Blaziken, and Incineroar), but something about him didn't quite feel right (or maybe I just don't connect with grass types?).
- The Pokemon Community Has Gone Toxic Over Sword and Shield ... ›
- "Pokemon Unite": Why Pokemon Fans Will Never Get Their Dream Game - Popdust ›
- Alolan Meowth ›
- Meowth Bundle | Online Exclusive | Pokemon | Build-A-Bear® ›
- Meowth - Wikipedia ›
- Meowth | Pokédex ›
- Meowth - #052 - Serebii.net Pokédex ›
- Meowth Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ... ›
- Meowth (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon ... ›
- Pokemon Sword And Pokemon Shield - New Gigantamax Pikachu ... ›
- 'Pokémon Sword and Shield's Gigantamax Meowth looks a lot like ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX MEOWTH MONEY GUIDE! EASY MONEY in ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX POKÉMON are coming to the Pokémon Sword and ... ›
- How to Get Gigantamax Meowth / Kantonian Meowth in Pokemon ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield: How To Claim Gigantamax Meowth ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield get Fat Pikachu, Longcat Meowth ... ›
- List of Every Gigantamax Pokemon - Pokemon Sword and Shield ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find Gigantamax Meowth ›