This is the first time we've heard of a cook getting killed by his ingredients!
While many have succumbed to food poisoning, a chef in China was dealt a fatal bite from the severed snake head of a cobra he had just chopped up to make a special soup with.
What made the attack even more unusual is that the Indochinese spitting cobra sunk its venomous fangs into Peng Fan as he was throwing it in the trash 20 minutes after he had chopped its head off, according to the Mirror.
Unsuspecting diners in the restaurant were distracted from their meals by screams coming from the kitchen as the fast-acting venom killed the chef before the doctor arrived. “After we heard that we did not continue with our meal,” said one disgruntled customer following the real life Kitchen Nightmare.
"It is a highly unusual case but it appears to be just an accident. He prepared the snake himself and was just unlucky,” explained a police spokesman.
"There was nothing that could be done to save the man. Only the anti-venom could have helped but this was not given in time. It was just a tragic accident."
According to veteran snake expert Yang Hong-Chang, reptiles can function for up to an hour after losing a body part — even its head.
“By the time a snake has lost its head, it’s effectively dead as basic body functions have ceased, but there is still some reflexive action,” he explained.
Snake meat is a delicacy in exotic soups as well as in Chinese medicine due to its healing properties.
Warning: The video below shows graphic images of a cobra being beheaded before being used for cooking.