Under normal circumstances, posting about Dido having a baby would be somewhere around priority #65536, somewhere near itemizing all the miniscule sales fluctuations of the day or rooting through dumpsters for paraphernalia (you laugh, but as you read this, there are probably people doing that.) These are not normal circumstances. These are the circumstances under which Dido named her son Stanley, as in something that can be shortened to Stan, as in the name of the character of Eminem's Dido-sampling "Stan," the sort of fan who does this:
I'm in the car right now, I'm doing 90 on the freeway
Hey Slim, I drank a fifth of vodka, you dare me to drive?
You know the song by Phil Collins, "In the Air of the Night"
about that guy who coulda saved that other guy from drowning
but didn't, then Phil saw it all, then at a a show he found him?
That's kinda how this is, you coulda rescued me from drowning.
OK, so technically it's Stanley, which might not be reduced to its one obvious nickname, and technically Dido's contribution was from the Stan-free "Thank You," but "Stan" is still just a leetle better-known than, say, "Here With Me" or "White Flag." (Both of which really stand up as songs, in case you confused our take on the name with our take on Dido.)
Nevertheless, considering that Stanley isn't exactly super-popular as a baby name (although more popular than you'd think in the U.K.), you imagine there might be better choices out there. That said, it could've been worse; here are three plausible to not-really-plausible-but-funny scenarios that'd be slightly more questionable:
The name "Stephen" showing up, ever.
Taylor Swift and Ke$ha are already barred from using it thanks to "Hey Stephen" and "Stephen" respectively, one about a crush and one about a really creepy crush. In such close succession, that's probably worth a five-year music-world moratorium, no?
Beyonce naming her baby anything starting with B.
The nicknames are already one portmanteau away from critical mass. Imagine how things will explode when the baby's actually born! And imagine how much more they'll explode with "Bebe" than, say, "Henrietta." (N.b.: Neither of these will actually be the name. If either is in fact the name, remind us of this fact and we will be duly shamed)
Justin Bieber, should he ever actually father a child instead of generating really annoying tabloid storylines, naming the kid anything at all.
Cries of favoritism will inevitably be cried. He should probably just go with a series of numbers.
Want to get into rock's most misunderstood subgenre? Here's where to start.
Has there ever been a style of music as misunderstood as emo?
Sunny Day Real Estate, Diary (1994)
- The 10 Most Important Emo Albums, From My Chem To Fall Out Boy ›
- Top 20 Emo Albums in History: Complete List - LA Weekly ›
- MEB's 40 Greatest Emo Albums of All-Time - Mind Equals ... ›
- The 11 best emo albums | Louder ›
- 30 essential emo albums from the genre's 35-year history ›
- Pitchfork's Best Emo Albums of All Time - Album of The Year ›
- 10 Emo Albums Every Music Fan Should Own | Consequence of ... ›
- 20 Emo Albums That Have Resolutely Stood The Test Of Time | NME ›
- The 25 Greatest Emo Albums Ever — Kerrang! ›
- 40 Greatest Emo Albums of All Time - Rolling Stone ›
And here's why.
You know those movies that have been parodied, memed, and referenced so much that you feel like you've seen them–but you never have and, honestly, why would you bother?
You know that at the end of Taxi Driver Travis Bickle may or may not hallucinate a violent episode, and you've seen people dress up in Robert De Niro's utility jacket, black shades, and weird Roman soldier haircut at every Halloween party you've ever attended. You know that Scarface's Tony Montana screams, "Say hello to my little friend" while wearing a suit with giant lapels and holding a machine gun. How do you know this? No, you've never seen the movie; the fact is that the sheer masterpiece of a few key scenes capturing the climax of a film can overshadow the entire production. Sure, you want to sit down to watch them "one day," but you just never get around to it.
- 25 greatest movie scenes of the last 25 years | For The Win ›
- Best Movie Scenes - Classic Movies ›
- The 40 Most Famous Movie Scenes of All Time | Best Life ›
- 36 Of The Greatest Movie Scenes Ever Made ›
- 30 Iconic Movie Scenes That Were Totally Unplanned ›
- The 25 Most Influential Movie Scenes of the Last 25 Years | Vanity Fair ›