TRAILER TIME | Watch the best movie trailers and a listing of what movies are coming out this weekend.
It's difficult to know what to watch! Let Popdust help you out this weekend.
As this week draws to a close, movies we have been waiting for are finally here. Popdust's top picks this week are looking nice! My top pick for the action season is "The Hitman's Bodyguard." This buddy movie looks too funny and, let's face it, people like to look at Ryan Reynolds. Sometimes I can take or leave his movies, but I will always remember his genius roll and washboard abs in "Waiting." I would go just to hear Sam Jackson yell at Reynolds and drop the F-bomb about a million times. "Logan Lucky" may split the hard crushes, as we see a bearded Channing Tatum take the screen. It looks like a fun way to chill out, if you like NASCAR and numbskulls in a fated-to-fail heist plot with Daniel Craig speaking in a southern accent... priceless. My favorite trailer though... has to be "Patti Cake$." A regular girl from NJ who discovers herself through rap. It is a musical outlet, a way to channel her frustration. How cool is it to see the reason music is powerful? From the way she looks, you may not guess the talent within. Her life is forever changed, as this positive direction towards self realization brings love and positivity to the people around her. This movie may just inspire you to find your own voice. "Gook" is an indie film about 2 young Korean American brothers during the time of Rodney King and the 1992 LA Riots. Shot in black and white, the cinematography alone looks on point. It's coming from an original perspective and won many awards at the festivals. Definitely worth watching. "Sidemen: Long Road to Glory" is a documentary about the back-up musicians who supported blues legends, such as Muddy Waters. They got little respect from the masses, but influenced literally everyone in Rock n' Roll. For better or worse, Blues is for life. These are some great films, so check out these top five movie trailers. Then take a look at the full list of releases this weekend. Best of luck movie-goers.
1. The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)
The world's top bodyguard gets a new client, a hit man who must testify at the International Court of Justice. They must put their differences aside and work together to make it to the trial on time.
2. Logan Lucky (2017)
[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Fvi%2FsnhED5xq04M%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&ho=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com&s=232&h=6f7ffd95bd7866ecb393cfda00e20cac86faa1adc6073ebb6fcc2ea4613571b1&size=980x&c=914069790 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Fvi%252FsnhED5xq04M%252Fmaxresdefault.jpg%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fi.ytimg.com%26s%3D232%26h%3D6f7ffd95bd7866ecb393cfda00e20cac86faa1adc6073ebb6fcc2ea4613571b1%26size%3D980x%26c%3D914069790%22%7D" caption="" pin_description="" image-library="0" expand=1 photo_credit=""]
West Virginia family man Jimmy Logan teams up with his one-armed brother Clyde and sister Mellie to steal money from the Charlotte Motor Speedway in North Carolina. Jimmy also recruits demolition expert Joe Bang to help them break into the track's underground system. Complications arise when a mix-up forces the crew to pull off the heist during a popular NASCAR race while also trying to dodge a relentless FBI agent.
3. Patti Cake$ (2017)
Fed up with life in her New Jersey hometown, Patricia Dombrowski, aka Patti Cake$, hopes to follow in the footsteps of her idol and hit the road to achieve stardom as a rapper. With help from her best friend, a mysterious musician and her loving grandmother, Patti leads the charge against an army of haters, unpaid bills and the broken dreams that are holding her back.
4. Gook (2017)
Eli and Daniel, two Korean American brothers, own a struggling shoe store and have an unlikely friendship with Kamilla, a street wise 11-year-old African American girl. Kamilla ditches school, Eli stresses about the store, and Daniel tries to have a good time. It's just another typical day at the store until the Rodney King verdict is read and riots break out. With the chaos moving towards them, the trio is forced to defend the store while contemplating the future of their own personal dreams and the true meaning of family.
5. Sidemen: Long Road to Glory (2016)
This is an intimate look at the incredible lives and legacies of piano player Pinetop Perkins, drummer Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith and guitarist Hubert Sumlin, all Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf sidemen. The film captures some of the last interviews and their final live performances together, before their deaths in 2011. The historic live shows are accompanied by performances and personal insights from many of the blues and rock stars these legendary sidemen inspired including; Bonnie Raitt, Gregg Allman, Derek Trucks, Shemekia Copeland, Robby Krieger, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Joe Perry, Joe Bonamassa and Johnny Winter.
Full list of new movies in theaters this weekend:
Friday, August 18, 2017
- Dave Made a Maze (2017) (Popcorn Frights Film Festival)
- Logan Lucky (2017)
- The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)
- What Happened to Monday (2017) (internet)
- Patti Cake$ (2017)
- Maudie (2016) (The Music Hall, Portsmouth NH)
- 6 Days (2017)
- Dave Made a Maze (2017)
- Marjorie Prime (2017) (limited)
- Lemon (2017) (Los Angeles, California)
- The Monster Project (2017)
- The Ice Cream Truck (2017)
- Gook (2017) (limited)
- The Neighborhood (2017)
- California Typewriter (2016 Documentary)
- The Queen of Spain (2016)
- Liza, Liza, Skies Are Grey (2017)
- At the End of the Tunnel (2017)
- Sidemen: Long Road to Glory (2016 Documentary)
- Devil's Acid (2017) (internet)
- 12 Chom Sao: Vea Duong Cho Yeu Chay (2015)
- Bride of Violence (2017)
- Gavin Hook (2017)
- Enduring: A Mother's Story (2017)
- Born To Lead: The Sal Aunese Story (2016 Documentary) (TV premiere)
- Barely Coping (2017)
- Looking Up, Way Up! The Burt Rutan Story (2017 Documentary) (Los Angeles, California)
- A Heartbeat Away from Destiny: The Michael Montgomery Story (2017 Documentary)
Saturday, August 19, 2017
- hitched (2017)
- Slim (2017) (Bangor, ME) (premiere)
- Walking Bear, Running Wolf (2017)
- Tread This Fantasy (2017)
- Inhumanwich! (2016) (Gen Con Film Festival)
Sunday, August 20, 2017
- Occupants (2015) (Hollywood Dreams Film Festival)
- The 5th Kind (2017)
- M I R R O R (2017) (internet)
- Love's Consequences (2017) (Los Angeles, California)
- The Embryo Who Came in from the Cold (2017) (Los Angeles, California)
- The New Age of Terror (2017 Documentary)
- Night Intruder (2017)
- Kurtis (2017)
- Down and Yonder (2017) (Chattanooga, Tennessee)
Dan Victor is Editor of Popdust and producer of Popdust Presents. He is also a music producer, bassist for Low Profile (live hip hop) & The Coldpress (indie rap) and front-man for Ductape Halo (indie rock). Follow on Youtube.
READ MORE ABOUT MOVIES...
Ingrid Goes West
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth To Power
Person to Person
The Emoji Movie
The Glass Castle
From the Land of the Moon
Birth of the Dragon
- Sidemen: Long Road To Glory ›
- Sundance Next Auidence Award Winner 'Gook' Picked up by ... ›
- Ryan Reynolds & Jake Gyllenhaal Answer the Web's Most Searched ... ›
- With 'Logan Lucky,' Soderbergh Hopes to Change Film's Business ... ›
- The Hitman's Bodyguard Official Trailer #2 (2017) Ryan Reynolds ... ›
- 'Patti Cake$' Review: Plus-Size Rapper Makes Big Impression | Variety ›