At last Back To The Future Day has arrived.
21st October 2015 is the day that Marty McFly (Michael J Fox) and Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) headed forward to in the 1989 film Back To The Future II, in a battle to save McFly's son from being arrested.
The classic movie painted a picture of 2015, much of which seemed far-fetched at the time but that incredibly, was not an unreasonable vision of the world we live in today. Everybody is talking about it—UK Prime Minister David Cameron even got in on the act, referencing the film in the House of Commons today, suggesting that a political opponent should get in his DeLorean and go back to 1985 and stay there!
The internet has been buzzing with fans checking out which of the film's predictions were spot on and which were a bit wide of the mark.
Here are a few of the things they got right;
- Big screen tv
- Video conferencing
- Watching multiple TV channels on one screen
- A baseball team from Miami (didn't exist when the movie was made)
- Excessive advertising
- Video games that don't use your hands
- Cameras everywhere
- Slamball (a sport that didn't exist until 2002)
- Plastic surgery's popularity
- TV glasses
- Freeway signs that inform you about the traffic
- News drones
- Athletic wear being worn as fashion
- Smart homes adjusting lights and temperature for you
Things that they didn't quite get right;
- Hoverboards (although Lexus showcased a prototype recently)
- Flying cars
- Those Nike shoes, we got the style but not quite the self-lacing
- Self drying clothes—not really but we do have high-tech fabrics that breathe and let moisture out
- Food rehydrator
There's still one thing that could come true yet—the film predicted a World Series victory for the Chicago Cubs...could this be the year?