In the statement, the 25-year-old dismisses SM Entertainment's claims that she didn't put her activities with Girls' Generation first, and then goes on to say that her bandmates told her to choose between her fashion business, BLANC, or her activities with the group. When she failed to submit to their ultimatum, she says she was blind-sided and booted from the group.
I was given a notice of departure from Girls' Generation by the agency on September 29, and I cannot hide my shocked and upset heart about this, so I'm here to reveal my position.
I have always put Girls' Generation's activities before my business or personal life as a member of Girls' Generation. However, despite my efforts for the team, I have been asked to leave the team by the agency.
While I was planning my business that I've had a lot of interest in since before, I had sufficiently consulted SM as well as the members about my preparation many times and asked for their understanding.
Up until the beginning of August when I was launching 'BLANC', I had received agreement and permission from SM, and congratulations from the members as well.
However, in early September, after only a month since the launching, the members suddenly changed their position and held a meeting, and told me to either quit my business or leave Girls' Generation without any justifiable reason.
I explained that I had already received permission from the agency, that I had never neglected Girls' Generation's activities, and that I could not suddenly halt my business due to my contract with my business partner after a month.
Ultimately, I pleaded that it was unjust for me to have to make a choice. Becoming a Girls' Generation member was the best thing in my life, and I had never thought about quitting.
Shocked about this, I had met with the agency CEO on September 16 to convey my position, and once again confirmed their permission for carrying out my business.
However, on September 29, I was given a one-sided notice asking me to leave Girls' Generation. Due to this, I was also unable to attend the fan meeting in China on September 30, and I have also been excluded from following Girls' Generation activities.
I have received great pain and cannot hide my sadness that I was asked by the agency and fellow members, whom I've spent 15 years with putting in all my passion and effort, to leave Girls' Generation just because of the reason that I'm starting a business.
I also want to apologize for causing concern to all the fans. Please understand that this situation is not at all what I had wanted, and that I've always treasured Girls' Generation, and that I will continue to do so. Thank you for always supporting and loving me.
Despite Jessica's claims, media outlet Dispatch (which is basically the Korean TMZ) is reporting an entirely different story. Citing sources close to both Girls' Generation and Jessica, Dispatch says that Jessica had been wanting to leave the popular girl group for months, and that she had made her fashion company and her relationship with businessmen Tyler Kwon her main priority.
Both sides had agreed to putting out one last album before Jessica officially withdrew from the group, and the members were initially supportive of Jessica's other endeavours as long as she kept Girls' Generation as her primarily focus until they'd officially wrapped up their final album together. When she allegedly failed to do this, she was unceremoniously fired.
You can read the full report over at Koreaboo.
After hearing both sides of the story, it's really difficult to pick one. It appears that Jessica genuinely believed that her personal activities weren't getting in the way of Girls' Generation, while her bandmates felt otherwise and were disappointed that she couldn't hold off for a little longer before pursuing other ventures.
Perhaps if SM Entertainment had managed this conflict better instead of suddenly giving Jessica the sack, then they all could've worked this out behind closed doors without the fans and public ever knowing about the conflict in the first place.
The hit musical will drop on Disney+ July 3rd.
Lin Manuel-Miranda's Hamilton has taken the theater world by storm since its 2015 Broadway premiere.
A hip-hop musical about America's founding fathers doesn't sound immediately appealing, but Manuel-Miranda's brilliant song writing and diverse casting not only captured the attention of audiences, but proved that major change is possible within an art form as encumbered by traditions as musical theater.
The white supremacist Trump fan is back in jail—again—a symbol of everything wrong with America's prison system.
"I am a white supremacist. The Aryan Nation will rule the world!"
If you think that sounds like the words of a man who is about to be deservedly choked out, you're partially right. But before 36-year-old Nicholas Arnold Schock got taken down by a group of brave bystanders in Nokomis Florida, he would do a lot more to deserve such aggressive treatment.
The viral video of the incident opens with a belligerent Schock, half-naked, shouting at the staff of Pop's Sunset Grille to "call Donald Trump, he's gonna come get me out of prison." It's not evident what sparked the confrontation—whether Schock was refusing to wear a mask in the popular open-air venue, or simply wanted to strip naked. Whatever the case, Schock was seemingly convinced that Donald Trump would have his back in the ordeal.