Like many of the tracks on The 20/20 Experience, there are a couple different songs at work in "Strawberry Bubblegum." The first is a late-night R&B; groove that glides weightlessly over a Noah Shebib-style soundscape for a very long time without making much of an impression beyond its "Hey hey hey hey hey" refrain. But oh, that second part, though! Five minutes into the song, JT switches gears and "Strawberry Bubblegum" morphs into a delightful bossa nova slow jam that is almost certainly about cunnilingus. Seriously, check these metaphors:
- "You're delicious on your own."
- "After I break you down, my fingers are so sweet."
- "That what you told me when I touched on your lips."
- "Bow under the door, girl, before they pick up your scent."
- "If you'll be my strawberry bubblegum, I'll be your blueberry lollipop."
- "I'll love you 'til I make you pop!"
It's incredibly cheesy, but just like Usher in "Dive," Timberlake knows the secret to selling material like this is to play it completely straight. If couples can get through the first five minutes, this could be the baby-making hit of the year.
POPDUST SAYS: 4.0/5 (3.5 for the first part, 4.5 for the second.)
NEXT: "Tunnel Vision"