Review: A Million Reasons Why We're Not Going So Gaga Over Lady Gaga's Stripped-Down 'Joanne' Ballad
We were rooting for you, Gaga!
Let's talk about Lady Gaga's latest release from her forthcoming Joanne LP, shall we? It's a melodramatic, countrified ballad called "Million Reasons," in which the uber-talented Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta's musical theater-friendly bravado is in endless overdrive. The references/comparisons are already pouring in for the stripped-down number, as seen via a quick #MillionReasons Twitter search. Bruce Springsteen-meets-Tracy Chapman! Johnny Cash-goes-on-a-date-with-Carrie Underwood! Also, the Indigo Girls...?!? Jesus, please take the wheel! My ears are experiencing something a bit different/semi-grating from the pop superstar, though. Like, maybe she had a few envious summertime slumber parties with musical theater royalty and multiple Tony Award winner, Patti Lupone, where activities included smoking many a joint while belting and harmonizing to Dixie Chicks' records. Can you even imagine being a fly on that royal blue, velvet wallpapered wall?! *Faints, convulses, dies.* Also and obviously involved were an array of artisanal cheeses paired with fine red wine teeth.
It's apparent that Lady Gaga's Joanne era has found her once again reinventing herself in true "I'm an artist from New York!" form. I'm actually so here for her hanging up the meat dress for daisy dukes, midriffs and cowboy hats. It's very on-trend. But, this tune, albeit very different for Gaga compared to her previous global superstar-making bops, isn't anything groundbreaking or forward-thinking. It's fine. I live for a roaring vocal over simple guitar strums and piano chords. And the verses and pre-choruses are super hooky and lovely, so much so that they almost distract from the saccharine, rhyme-y lyrics. (See also: "If I had a highway, I would run for the hills. If you could find a driveway, I'd forever be still.") This should've been the pleasant sonic surprise we've all been waiting for/rooting for since learning about her working with Mark f'n Ronson. A break from the rocket booms and robotic synths and soul-drenched torch songs and Tony Bennett jazz duets! But we've already heard this song. For me, it makes me hum P!nk's stripped-down "I Don't Believe You," which was her sixth single from Funhouse. That's the thing! "Million Reasons" is sixth single material. It'll be a good karaoke jam, but I'd rather belt out off-key another bittersweet ballad from another Lady -- that'd be, and don't you dare judge, "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum.
So, do we really need this song now, replete with lyrics about cutting through tattered leather, from Lady Gaga? Debatable. And sure, I'll take it. But perhaps I/we just expect so much more from the talent considering her incredible body of work. Her reinvention and rawest sound yet is definitely commendable. The song is good. It's just nothing to go Gaga about. (Here's hoping that we'll lose our damn minds over that Florence Welch duet.) Final "Million Reasons" verdict: one Lil Monster paw up.
(PS. This review is the writer's own and does not represent other Popdust-ers.)
- Watch Lady Gaga Perform Heartfelt New Song 'Million Reasons ... ›
- Listen to Lady Gaga's Heartbreaking New Song 'Million Reasons ... ›
- Lady Gaga Track 'Million Reasons': Stream it Now | Billboard ›
- Lady Gaga Million Reasons: hear chorus of Gaga's new song | EW ... ›
- Lady Gaga Performs Million Reasons Off New Album Joanne | E ... ›
- Lady Gaga Will Debut New Song “Million Reasons” at a Dive Bar ... ›
- Lady Gaga - Million Reasons (Audio) - YouTube ›
- Lady Gaga performed new song Million Reasons live and everyone ... ›
- Lady Gaga to Debut 'Million Reasons' During Dive Bar Tour | Variety ›
- Lady Gaga: 'Million Reasons' Stream, Lyrics, & Download – Listen ... ›
With fans of multiple franchises calling for various alternate cuts to be released, a simple solution remains on the table.
Update 5/22/2020: It's been announced that the Snyder Cut of Justice League will be released on HBO Max sometime next year, prompting star Jason Momoa to post a promotional image to Instagram with the accompanying text "finally it's happening" and "justice served." While this is the outcome fans were hoping for, a long term solution to alternate cut controversies is still called for.
- Snyder Cut Still Not Happening, WB Insider Calls It Pipe Dream ›
- Dear Warner Bros: Release The Snyder Cut ›
- Release 'Snyder Cut'? Sorry, 'Justice League' fans, Warner won't ›
- Justice League: the fight to release Zack Snyder's cut, explained - Vox ›
- Oh Boy: 'Release The J.J. Cut' Is Trending After 'Star Wars' Editor ... ›
- A supposed J.J. Abrams cut of The Rise of Skywalker has fans up in ... ›
- Release the J.J. Cut? 'Star Wars' fans ask for director's version - New ... ›
- Sorry, Abramsbronies... Rob Liefeld Says There Is No "J.J. Cut" of ... ›
- Is There a JJ Abrams Cut of Star Wars the Rise of Skywalker - Fans ... ›
- Star Wars Fans Are Campaigning To 'Release The J.J. Cut' After ... ›
- The J.J. Abrams 'Skywalker' Cut and Why Studios Will Always Win ... ›
- A Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker 'JJ Abrams Cut' Is Not A Thing, Don't ... ›
It was always her dance floor.
Few artists have given as much of themselves to their fans as Lady Gaga.
Since being ordained queen of the nightclub (not to mention the pregame, the getting-ready-bedroom-dance, the drag show, and the summer night drive) in 2008 with "Just Dance," the hit single from her hit debut album The Fame, Gaga has continued to surprise fans with constant reinvention. She cemented her place as the pop-artist of a generation with Born This Way and even (as over-produced as it was) Art Pop, and then, shockingly, went on to release a jazz standard's album with Tony Bennett (Cheek to Cheek), a country album (Joanne), and finally become an Oscar-nominated actress for A Star Is Born. Somehow, she pulled off every iteration of herself with charisma and grace.
- Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande Share New Song "Rain On Me ... ›
- Lady Gaga Releases "Chromatica" Album Cover, Raises $35 Million ... ›
- Lady Gaga Leads the “Kindness Punks” in a Fight for Peace in ... ›
- Lady Gaga and BLACKPINK Share New Song "Sour Candy" - Popdust ›