Celebrities on Instagram—as in life, unfortunately—seem to get away with a hell of a lot of social-norm breaking and generally unusual behavior.
Jennifer Aniston is responsible for '90s-defining bad hair, redefining a "break" from a relationship, and the world record for accumulating the most Instagram followers in the fastest amount of time.
After creating her account, the 50-year-old actress gained 1 million followers within 5 hours and 16 minutes. (The previous record was held by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, who lost the completely meaningless honor by just 29 minutes). The Friends actress has always been an enigma on social media, despite being America's sweetheart for much of her career. Her first post was a typical 50-year-old's photo, blurry and awkwardly angled for a group photo of all her Friends costars. The caption read, "And now we're Instagram FRIENDS too. HI INSTAGRAM." Mashable applauded the actress' new social media strategy: "Jennifer Aniston (or at least Aniston and the people working with her on social media) has pretty much nailed the Instagram game."
Certainly, with three posts and nearly 14 million followers, Aniston is on her way to becoming one of the most followed celebrities on Instagram. Aside from being named "the worst social media for mental health," Instagram does work like a game, in that one has to follow unspoken rules to succeed, you're in competition with and compared to every other user, and you hope to show some grace and intelligence in your decisions.
But celebrities on Instagram—as in life, unfortunately—seem to get away with a hell of a lot of social-norm breaking and generally unusual behavior. From posting bad selfies and oversharing to following 0 people but accumulating millions of followers, these are the strangest celebrity habits on Instagram.
Post Unflattering Selfies
As of October 2019, Selena Gomez has the most followers on Instagram with 1,522 posts. When you're one of the most popular pop artists in the world, an exhausted selfie isn't just humanizing (like her public struggles with lupus); it's apparently "amazing," "beautiful," "perfect," and the brave action of a "queen," according to her comments.
- Jennifer Aniston joins Instagram with help from some 'Friends' - CNN ›
- Jennifer Aniston's Instagram debut sends platform crashing | Film ... ›
- Top 10 Facebook Fan Pages And Instagram Accounts In 2018 ... ›
- Who Has The Most Followers On Instagram? - Top Most-Followed ... ›
- 10 Most Followed Celebrities on Instagram - The Wendy Williams ... ›
- The Top 20 Most Followed Accounts on Instagram | Brandwatch ›
- • Most followed Instagram accounts 2019 | Statista ›
- Top 25 Instagram Influencers in 2019 – The Most Followed... ›
- Top 10 most-followed Instagram accounts in 2017 - Business Insider ›
- 10 Celebrities with the Most Instagram Followers in 2019 ›