In an unnamed Latin-American country torn apart by civil war, morality, faith, love, and duty are all held closely to the flame. As peace is celebrated, we hear the residents of a small village tell, in their own words, the stories of war. Of a husband who joined up to buy a washing machine for his wife. Of a doctor who saw his wife killed for helping a wounded insurgent. Of the priest who could have helped hide her but didn't. In the aftermath of war, the doctor is called upon to heal again, but finds that he is doing it in a way he never thought possible. With an unprecedented power to save at his fingertips, his past comes to visit, and he faces an impossible choice.
Martin Zimmerman's text is fast-paced, and riddled with the wounds of humanity
Seven Spots on the Sun is a ferocious play. Martin Zimmerman's text is fast-paced, and riddled with the wounds of humanity. There is dark lyricality to the way he writes that echoes the work of Marquez. You wouldn't call this magical realism, but you might say that it feels like a modern myth or fable. The action is divorced from any real time or place. This allows Seven Spots to be free of any political questions, and so the audience focuses on the human story unfolding before them.
Director Weyni Mengesha and the assembled cast have interpreted the work in blistering fashion. There are limited set pieces beyond Arnulfo Maldonado's evocative omnistructure, which serves as whatever locale it needs to. As lit by Amith Chandrashaker, this gives it great versatility. This still leaves a sizable burden of work on the actors. Nevertheless, they bare that burden beautifully.
Photos by Russ Rowland
Rey Lucas as the broken doctor Moisés gives a harrowing performance that is at once painful to watch and impossible to look away from. Sean Carvajal as the broken toy soldier Luis is similarly devastating. His transition from lovable puppy-dog, to brutish authoritarian, to PTSD riddled victim is a rollercoaster. Flor De Liz Perez, as his wife Monica, is similarly heart-wrenching. Peter Jay Fernandez as the town priest is a paragon of wavering virtue. Flora Diaz as Moisés' wife Belén is a terrifying sight to watch as she fights the fate the play has in store for her. They are all ably aided and abetted by Claudia Acosta, Cesar J. Rosado, and Socorro Santiago playing various roles within the village. All in all, an enviable staff, both onstage and off.
These elements come together into a play that is nothing short of harrowing. It runs a brisk eighty-five minutes, and manages to feel both longer and shorter than its runtime. Longer, in that it is so densely packed with plot and emotion that it feels biblical. Shorter, in that the production is so tightly staged and performed that there isn't a second of dead air. Seven Spots on the Sun is a wicked account of war and its consequences, full of raw emotion, and blessedly free of cliche and melodrama. Ideal for the socially minded theatre-goer. A feast for the heart and mind. Recommended to anyone who likes a good play.
If you really want to get an Animal Crossing player passionate, ask them which villager they hate the most.
Ask any Animal Crossing: New Horizons player which villager is their favorite and they'll probably tell you about a cute, cuddly animal who says sweet things and sends nice gifts (or possibly Roald, the chubby penguin who loves working out).
Roald is the best villager, no question.Nintendo
But if you really want to get an Animal Crossing player passionate, ask them which villager they hate the most. As it turns out, in a game filled to the brim with relaxation and joy, there's still a surprising amount of room for hatred, and all of it is directed at the absolute bottom-tier villagers who move into your perfect town with their ugly appearances and garbage personalities to turn your animal utopia into a rancid dump.
- "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" Has All the QoL Improvements ... ›
- Did Nintendo Create COVID-19 to Make "Animal Crossing: New ... ›
- People Are Going on Dates in the "Animal Crossing: New Horizons ... ›
- Animal Crossing New Horizons Is a Blueprint for Functional ... ›
- Raymond the Smug Cat and the Dark Underbelly of Animal Crossing - Popdust ›
- AOC Is Playing Animal Crossing & Responded to a Trump Troll - Popdust ›
- Nintendo Switch Games to Play in Quarantine While You Wait for the Next Day in "Animal Crossing" - Popdust ›
- The 7 Fastest Ways to Earn Bells on "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" - Popdust ›
- Leif and Redd Bring High Culture to Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Popdust ›
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the best Animal Crossing game ... ›
- Top 10 Best Animal Crossing Villagers, Ranked ›
- Top 10 Best Animal Crossing Villagers, Ranked ›
- List of Villagers Based on Popularity ›
- Create a Animal Crossing Villagers Tier List - TierMaker ›
- The 10 Cutest Villagers From Animal Crossing, Ranked | Game Rant ›
- Animal Crossing: The 15 Grumpiest Villagers, Ranked | TheGamer ›
- The 10 Weirdest Villagers From Animal Crossing, Ranked | TheGamer ›
- Animal Crossing: The Best Villagers Ever, Ranked | TheGamer ›
- Animal Crossing Villager Species TIER LIST! - YouTube ›
Meowth is best cat.
Going into Pokemon Sword and Shield, I was unimpressed with the new starter Pokemon.
Meh.The Pokemon Company
I normally gravitate towards fire-type starters, but Cinderace was a little too humanoid-rabbit-wearing-pants for my tastes. Inteleon was just "lol no." Rillaboom hit the closest to my usual favorite powerhouse aesthetic (think Charizard, Blaziken, and Incineroar), but something about him didn't quite feel right (or maybe I just don't connect with grass types?).
- The Pokemon Community Has Gone Toxic Over Sword and Shield ... ›
- "Pokemon Unite": Why Pokemon Fans Will Never Get Their Dream Game - Popdust ›
- Alolan Meowth ›
- Meowth Bundle | Online Exclusive | Pokemon | Build-A-Bear® ›
- Meowth - Wikipedia ›
- Meowth | Pokédex ›
- Meowth - #052 - Serebii.net Pokédex ›
- Meowth Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ... ›
- Meowth (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon ... ›
- Pokemon Sword And Pokemon Shield - New Gigantamax Pikachu ... ›
- 'Pokémon Sword and Shield's Gigantamax Meowth looks a lot like ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX MEOWTH MONEY GUIDE! EASY MONEY in ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX POKÉMON are coming to the Pokémon Sword and ... ›
- How to Get Gigantamax Meowth / Kantonian Meowth in Pokemon ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield: How To Claim Gigantamax Meowth ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield get Fat Pikachu, Longcat Meowth ... ›
- List of Every Gigantamax Pokemon - Pokemon Sword and Shield ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find Gigantamax Meowth ›