We're all counting our blessings at Popdust.
It's almost Thanksgiving, so here at Popdust we're trying our best to stop dwelling on the fact that our entire world is going to sh*t, and instead, be appreciative of all the pop culture stuff we're thankful for in 2019.
Here they are in no particular order:
The Pokemon Company
A week after the launch of Sword and Shield, the angry man-babies are still crying hard.
3. Baby Yoda
Even cuter than a whole flock of Porgs.
Keanu Reeves has continued to be infallible.
A boomer misspelled it "VeTRANS Day." Hilarious.
6. White Men arguing for more representation for White Men
If there's one thing all white men have in common, it's constant oppression.
Photographs: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
Keith brings me Combos to snack on. Abby is also nice.
8. That video of Amanda Bynes confirming that she was sincere about wanting Drake to murder her pussy
This was important to clarify.
CREDIT: ROB LATOUR/SHUTTERSTOCK
We're all failures, but at least we're not Olivia Jade Loughlin.
Attack on Titan still has my vote for absolute best TV season of 2019.
11. The optimistic hope that the FFVII Remake will actually be amazing
I'M GOING TO RELIVE MY CHILDHOOD.
12. A New Half-Life game
It might be a dumb VR game, but it gives us hope that Half-Life 3 is on the horizon.
13. Fleabag Season 2
The second season was somehow even better than the first.
14. Another year without a Toby Keith hit
No matter how bad the rest of the year was, we can all take solace in the fact that Toby Keith doesn't have any hot new songs.
15. Harry Styles
THEO WARGO GETTY IMAGES
Our boy killed it on SNL.
16. A conclusive ending for the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Mainly though, we're just done with Marvel.
Seriously though, shut your awful, racist boomer family down.
18. Dolly Parton's resurgence
Dolly Parton will always be a national treasure.
19. The Angry Woman Vs Cat meme (the cat's name is Smudge, fun fact)
Meme of the year.
Scarier than any horror movie of the past twenty years.
ROY ROCHLIN/GETTY IMAGES
22. That they still play 21 Jump Street and Superbad on TV
Some things never change.
Place your bets.
24. FKA TWIGs
22nd Annual Webby Awards WireImage
Robert Pattinson done goofed.
25. That Taylor Swift wrote the song Lover all by herself, and then didn't get nominated for a Grammy
CREDIT: EVAN AGOSTINI/INVISION/AP/SHUTTERSTOCK
She has enough Grammys as is.
Really though. It was an inside job.
27. Ronan Farrow proposing to his husband on a page of his own book
Talk about balls.
28. Amanda Palmer's Antics
James Duncan Davidson
Love her or hate her, at least she's interesting.
That time when I called out The Hollywood Reporter.
30. The Edne and Mack Feud of 2019
hemp leaves on wooden background, seeds, cannabis oil extracts in jars Getty Images/iStockphoto
CBD is bullsh*t.
31. Victoria's Secret fashion show canceled officially forever
It's about time.
32. A$AP Rocky a point of discussion in impeachment hearings
We truly live in the stupidest timeline.
Conspiracy theory: They had the original design ready to go all along.
Most gorgeous anime of 2019.
- All the Things Millennials Have Killed - Popdust ›
- Did Justin Bieber Celebrate Thanksgiving? Pop Stars Share Holiday ... ›
- Bob's Burgers is TV's Best Critique of Capitalism - Popdust ›
- Adventures In Dating—Spotlight On Thanksgiving Dinner - Popdust ›
- Amber Bain of The Japanese House Is Hanging In There on Tour ... ›
- Thanksgiving 2019 travel forecast: When to watch for rain and ice ... ›
- 21 Best Thanksgiving Outfits 2019 ›
- Thanksgiving - Wikipedia ›
- What Thanksgiving Looks Like in a War Zone - The New York Times ›
- What Day Is Thanksgiving 2019? - When Is Thanksgiving This Year ›
- When Is Thanksgiving 2019? - US Thanksgiving Date 2019 ›
- Thanksgiving 2019: Why Thanksgiving Day Is So Late | The Old ... ›
- When is Thanksgiving Day 2019 & 2020? Dates of Thanksgiving Day ›
Don't act like you didn't watch it.
After seeing the horrendous first trailer, some of us hoped that Cats would reconsider its decision to feature eerily realistic and yet incredibly uncanny cat-human hybrids.
This has not happened. The cats in the latest trailer are mostly buff, large-breasted, and endowed with human features and very feline fur. They look like something out of the worst acid trip of all time.
Overall, the new trailer is like Alice in Wonderland if it were redesigned by the corporate overlords in Sorry to Bother You. If their appearances weren't odd enough, there's the fact that—as The Cut smartly pointed out—the cats appear to be different sizes in almost every frame. They must've taken whatever pill Jefferson Airplane is talking about in "White Rabbit," because they're sometimes very large and sometimes very small.
Then there are the psychedelic colors, the swirling shots pieced together like the rough cut of a montage for a Tame Impala video, and the endlessly cheesy one-liners.
Honestly, the cats in Cats would have been so much easier to look at if someone had made the decision to use regular costumes instead of whatever CGI they're trying out.
On the other hand, Cats itself is a bizarre and strange musical that does feature humanoid cat-dancers. Iit's supposed to be disorienting and dreamlike, and it's predicated on the suspension of belief. Based on a series of poems by T. S. Eliot, it's an abstract and nonsensical show about a colony of wild cats that dance and sing their way through an unruly haze of cat parties, nostalgia, and magic, for God's sake.
But the musical is mostly noteworthy for its extraordinary dancing and its charming music; the rest is fluff. On the other hand, it seems that the movie will mostly rely on the star power of its very famous cast, which includes James Corden, Jennifer Hudson, Rebel Wilson, Taylor Swift, Dame Judi Dench, and Jason Derulo, all of whom somehow agreed to having their faces and body shapes coated in CGI fur suits. Maybe the fact that these people are so famous and familiar is part of what makes the preview look so peculiar. It's as if our cultural avatars have been filtered through a bad photoshop job or ingested a couple of nasty chemicals from the MK-Ultra era; strangers would've been easier to bear.
On the other hand, maybe Cats is what we as a collective society deserve and need. After all, it's not like we live in a logical world. Today, in the era of social media, streaming, and endless TikTok loops, it takes something absolutely absurd to grab our attention for longer than a 24-hour news cycle, and by proxy, media is becoming more bizarre, more psychedelic, and more outlandishly self-referential. Maybe Cats' oddness is just a roundabout marketing scheme.
Regardless, the real world often seems as topsy-turvy and plotless as the Cats trailer. So, keep dancing away under the Jellicle moon, cat-humans; we'll be watching in blissful horror, and lapping up every frame.
Cats – Official Trailer | MTV Movies www.youtube.com
- The new Cats trailer is just, wow, yes, Taylor Swift, ok, cool, sure ... ›
- Here's The Second "Cats" Movie Trailer ›
- 'The most disturbing thing I've ever seen' – will the new Cats trailer ... ›
- 'Cats' Trailer Drops With Taylor Swift, Judi Dench, James Corden ... ›
- Cats movie trailer: internet reacts in horror to 'demented dream ballet ... ›
- Cats – Official Trailer (Universal Pictures) HD - YouTube ›
- Why the 'Cats' trailer creeped us out (Opinion) - CNN ›
- Cats Trailer #2 (2019) | Movieclips Trailers - YouTube ›
- The New 'Cats' Trailer Is Here, Now With More Idris Elba - The New ... ›
- CATS - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube ›