The rock band's sixth album, The New Abnormal, is out this week.
We might not have dine-in restaurants, the freedom to gather in groups, or toilet paper, but even as the world falls apart, we still have the Strokes.
Not long after headlining a massive New Year's Eve show at Brooklyn's Barclays Center, the iconic New York City rockers might have put their tour dates on hold, but they aren't letting public health crises halt the release of their upcoming album. The Strokes' appropriately-titled sixth album, The New Abnormal, is set to arrive this Friday as usual. Following lead singles "At the Door" and "Bad Decisions," they've shared another, titled "Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus."
"Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus" dives headfirst into the '80s pop aesthetics that the Strokes have only dipped their toes into prior. Introduced by a jabbing, staccato synth line, it seems to take cues from frontman Julian Casablancas' other band, the Voidz. However, by the time the dueling guitar lines arrive at the chorus, "Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus" also feels reminiscent of earlier Strokes work from their First Impressions of Earth or Angles eras. Nevertheless, Casablancas' instantly recognizable croon takes the forefront.
The song squares up its narrator's urges to socialize against an inclination to self-isolate. "I want new friends, but they don't want me," Casablancas sings. "They're making plans while I watch TV / Thought it was you, but maybe it's me / I want new friends, but they don't want me." It feels topically relevant almost to an alarming degree; but, when all of this blows over, "Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus" can serve as a dark reminder of where we've been.
The Strokes - Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus (Audio) www.youtube.com
- The Strokes share 'Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus' before new LP ›
- Listen to The Strokes' new song, Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus - Guitar ... ›
- The Strokes Share New Single 'Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus' ›
- The Strokes unveil new song 'Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus' | DIY ›
- The Strokes – Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus Lyrics | Genius Lyrics ›
- The Strokes New Song "Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus" | HYPEBEAST ›
- The Strokes Go New Wave on Latest Single 'Brooklyn Bridge to ... ›
- Listen to The Strokes' new song 'Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus' ›
- The Strokes - Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus (Audio) - YouTube ›
- Listen to the Strokes' New Song “Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus” | Pitchfork ›
The song is loud and braggadocios, and as police assault innocent protestors across the country, YG once again says what's exactly on our mind.
As protests swell across the country demanding an end to police brutality and justice for the murder of George Floyd, YG once again releases a protest song in line with the current political climate.
YG - FTP (Official Audio) www.youtube.com
It's time to study.
Now that you've flooded Instagram with photos of black squares, it's time to hunker down for some real activism.
If you're a white person, you're sitting on top of about four centuries of institutionalized racism. In the wake of George Floyd's murder by police and countless Black Lives Matter protests across the nation, it's time to show up—with your body, with your voice, and with your brain.