Aside from the living terror of every live-action Dr. Seuss book ever.
Halloween is the time to refamiliarize ourselves with all our cultural signifiers of extreme horror: aging and decay, malicious supernatural entities, clowns, celebrity cultural appropriation, "Sexy minion" costumes.
But while it's the season to stream perfect, campy horror or high-concept psychological terror, too many films go overlooked. As Rachel Handler recently opined for Vulture, "the scariest horror movie of all time is Revolutionary Road." She praises any movie that is "so perfectly terrifying that it low-key destroys my life and completely ravages my worldview." For some, that film was The Strangers or The Hills Have Eyes. For me, it was 2005's new The Descent. For my co-worker, it was Planet of the Apes (1968) when she was eight.
These films may be best known in niche circles, but they all tap into a visceral sense of disgust and repulsion that seriously make us question whether or not we were better off not watching them at all. So in true Halloween tradition, make some questionably bad choices and fill your mind with more nightmares and regrets. Enjoy!
"A maniacal clown terrorises three young women and anyone else in his way on Halloween night."
- 31 Halloween Movies to Watch This October - Popdust ›
- FILM | 15 top movies to watch this Halloween season - Popdust ›
- 57 Best Halloween Movies of All Time - Scariest Movies for Halloween ›
- 25 Underrated Horror Films For Halloween | Balder and Dash ... ›
- 20 Underrated Horror Films for Your Halloween Viewing Pleasure ›
- 10 Criminally Underrated Horror Movies To Watch On Halloween ... ›
- Kirk Hammett's top 10 underrated horror movies to watch this ... ›
- 16 Underrated Halloween Movies That Will Spice Up Your Annual ... ›