The songs, originally available only in Japan, are now streaming worldwide.
Last May, Vampire Weekend returned from a five-year hiatus with their fourth studio album, Father of the Bride.
At 18 tracks and an hour long, it marks the seminal indie band's most expansive release yet—yet there's still more where that came from. Today, Ezra Zoenig and company have shared three additional songs from the Father of the Bride sessions, originally included as bonus tracks from the Japanese release of the album: "Houston Dubai," "I Don't Think Much About Her No More," and "Lord Ullin's Daughter."
"Houston Dubai" is an upbeat acoustic tune that harks back to Vampire Weekend's first releases. "I got a wife back home you know / She always thinks I cheat," Koenig sings. "I think about those dead end days / When life was light and sweet." "I Don't Think About Her Much No More," a hushed Mickey Newbury cover, features echoing background vocals that are reminiscent of Bob Dylan. A surprise cameo comes from Jude Law on "Lord Ullin's Daughter," who reads a 200-year-old Scottish poem over an early piano rendition of FOTB track "Big Blue."
"At first, I wanted to make two 23-song albums on some human chromosome s--t," Koenig explained upon announcing FOTB. "But then 23&me started doing Spotify playlists and I don't know…felt we'd been scooped."
Maybe we'll get that massive double-album someday, but for now, you can check out the new-to-streaming bonus tracks below.
- Vampire Weekend Share 'Father of the Bride' Japanese Bonus Tracks ›
- Vampire Weekend Share 'Father Of The Bride' Japanese Bonus ... ›
- Vampire Weekend on Instagram: “Tomorrow: the FOTB Japanese ... ›
- VAMPIRE WEEKEND - Father Of The Bride (Japanese Bonus Track ... ›
- Vampire Weekend share three 'Father of the Bride' bonus tracks ›
- Father of the Bride (Japan Bonus Edition Tracks) by jsullivan2413 ... ›
- Father of the Bride (album) - Wikipedia ›
- FOTB Bonus Tracks : Vampireweekend ›
- Vampire Weekend Drop 'FOTB' Bonus Tracks | SPIN ›
- Houston Dubai - Vampire Weekend (Japan FOTB Bonus Track) by ... ›