They're odd, they're unexpected—and they're better than the originals.
Since winter is the absence of goodness and joy, it's hard to remember if summer 2018 really happened.
If it did, then the only proof is in the playlists–especially the ones Spotify likes to obnoxiously describe as "good vibes," "young and free," and "sunshowers." But as the sun seeps from our days, there's a healing indulgence in listening to our summer playlists, despite the cold.
Even better, reckoning with winter actually becomes worthwhile when listening to odd, unexpected covers of those summer hits with cool or brooding twists. From Hozier slowing down one of Demi Lovato's pop hits to Scottish newcomer Lewis Capaldi giving a gritty rendition of A Star Is Born's "Shallow," here are 10 wintry covers of last summer's hits.
1."Thank U, Next" covered by The 1975 (original by Ariana Grande)
The 1975 - thank u, next (Ariana Grande cover) youtu.be
2. "One Kiss" covered by Rudimental feat. Gabriel (original by Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa)
Rudimental - One Kiss (Calvin Harris, Dua Lipa cover) in the Live Lounge youtu.be
3. "Shallow" covered by Lewis Capaldi (original by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper)
Lewis Capaldi - Shallow (Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper cover) in the Live Lounge youtu.be
4. "Lucid Dreams" covered by Thirty Seconds to Mars (original by Juice WRLD)
Thirty Seconds To Mars - Juice WRLD, Khalid & Post Malone mash-up (Live Lounge) youtu.be
5. "Eastside" covered by Marshmello featuring Bastille (original by Benny Blanco)
Marshmello featuring Bastille - Eastside (Benny Blanco cover) in the Live Lounge youtu.be
6. "Sorry Not Sorry" covered by Hozier (original by Demi Lovato)
Hozier - Sorry Not Sorry (Demi Lovato cover) in the Live Lounge youtu.be
7. "God Is A Woman" covered by Tom Grennan (original by Ariana Grande)
Tom Grennan - God Is A Woman (Ariana Grande) in the Live Lounge youtu.be
8. "IDGAF" covered by Panic! At the Disco (original by Dua Lipa)
Panic! At The Disco cover Dua Lipa's IDGAF in the Live Lounge youtu.be
9. "Breathin" covered by Mumford & Sons (original by Ariana Grande)
Mumford & Sons - breathin (Ariana Grande cover) in the Live Lounge ft. Pêtr Aleksänder youtu.be
10. "Shotgun" covered by The Vamps (original by George Ezra)
The Vamps - Shotgun (George Ezra cover) in the Live Lounge youtu.be
POP⚡DUST | Read More...
- Don't Stop the Music: All of Rihanna's 125 Songs, Ranked From ... ›
- Weezer's Teal Album is Something, I Guess - Popdust ›
- Down the Rabbit Hole: Exploring Weird YouTube - Popdust ›
- 50 Cover Songs Better Than the Originals :: Music :: Features ... ›
- The Ultimate List of the Top 25 Times Metal Bands Covered Pop ... ›
- BBC Radio 2: Sounds of the '80s - Unique Covers of Classic Hits ... ›
- The 50 best covers ›
- The 40 Best Nu-Metal Covers of Pop Songs | SPIN ›
- 10 Weirdest Cover Songs Ever | Consequence of Sound ›
- 'Africa' Cover, And Of Course It Stars 'Weird Al' Yankovic ›
- The 10 Strangest Moments in Cover Song History | LANDR Blog ›
- 20 Surprising Indie And Rock Covers Of Pop Songs You Need To ... ›