Yes, it's true—Nicki Minaj has returned to Twitter. I'd make some sort of joke about what a scary eight days it's been, but really, there was no doubt that the rapping pop star (popping rap star?) would return to her leagues of faithful followers before long—she's just too much of a natural networker to stay off social media's most powerful forum for too long. The question now is how long it will take for Her Minajesty to rebuild her once-11-million-strong army of followers—though she gains about 1,000 new subscribers every time we hit Refresh on her Twitter feed, so perhaps the answer to that is "not long."
However, a more pressing concern now, uh, concerns Nicki—keeping up with the current events that have transpired over the course of her internet absence. Consider that on April 15th, the date of Nicki's last (non-deleted) tweet, the world was in this state:
- Lionel Richie hadn't had a #1 album in over 25 years
- Jesse Campbell seemed like a sure thing for the finals on The Voice
- Metta World Peace had still gone an impressively long time without doing something crazy (besides naming himself Metta World Peace)
- Don and Megan Draper had yet to have a non-sexy physical altercation out of orange-sherbert-related anger
- Dick Clark was still alive
- Tupac Shakur was still dead
These are tough times to keep up with, Nicki. I guess you can tweet about the Hunger Games or Draw Something or something, though. People seem to still like those things.