It's possible to take character acting too far.
Acting is a strange trade.
By nature of the profession, an actor is supposed to don various masks, completely immerse themselves in a role to the point that they can convince audiences that they're someone else entirely, then discard it all as soon as the show or movie is done—only to start up again as a different character.
Many actors do this effortlessly, but others have dived too deep into their roles, losing touch with their real selves in the process. These actors have taken character acting a bit too far.
2. Nicolas Cage — Birdy
Nicolas Cage is well-known for his strange antics, and he's pulled a variety of stunts to get in character over the years. For his film Birdy, he had four teeth pulled out in order to add effect to his character's appearance, and he wore the character's facial bandages for five weeks straight on and off set. "I could have taken those bandages off, but I didn't. I left them on for five weeks," he told The New York Times in 1984. "I slept in them. I'd wake myself up in the middle of the night and say, 'Don't sleep on that side; that's the side that was hurt.'Cage has continued his shenanigans in the decades that followed that performance. In general, he follows a method called "nouveau-shamanic,," a made-up acting technique that he described as "trying to augment your imagination to get to the performance without feeling like you're faking it." He elaborated that nouveau shamanic-technique cannot be taught, but must be discovered.
- Why is Keanu Reeves the Only Good Celebrity? - Popdust ›
- Taylor Swift Now Openly Recruiting Actors to Be Her Next Celebrity ... ›
- Method Acting Moments That Went Too Far ›
- Scenes that pushed actors too far ›
- Scenes That Pushed Actors Too Far - YouTube ›
- Times Method Actors Took Things Way Too Far - YouTube ›
- are we pushing horror film actors too far? - i-D ›
- Actors Who Took Method Acting Too Far - VH1 News ›
- 15 Times Stars Took Method Acting Too Far | Mental Floss ›
- Hollywood Has Ruined Method Acting ›
- The Devastating Story Of How The Joker Haunted Every Actor Who ... ›
- Why Acting Is An Insanely Dangerous Job | Screen Rant ›