The Grammys have never gotten it right.
It comes as no surprise that the Grammys have once again snubbed some of the year's most prominent talents.
The rap categories are completely lacking in women nominees, despite Megan Thee Stallion, Young M.A., Tierra Whack and Missy Elliot achieving some of 2019's biggest successes in the genre. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Solange, Bruce Springsteen, and Tyler, The Creator were all overlooked for Artist of the Year consideration (though the latter is nominated for Best Rap Album), and Ari Lennox, Summer Walker, DaBaby (who allegedly wasn't considered because he has previously released "mixtapes"), and Lauv were among a of the few rising talents disregarded for "Best New Artist." Goldlink—who has been nominated for Grammy's in the past but whose brilliantly amalgamative Diaspora album wasn't considered for any award this year—sounded off on Instagram. "The lack of relevance you have just solidifed [sic] today is unbelievable," he wrote. "I've just gotten to a point after three years of being silent on this topic, that my value is much beyond what closed door establishments have been giving us."
While The Academy's disrespect this year feels particularly brash, we can take comfort in the fact that award shows are increasingly meaningless, white-washed, and more out of touch with culture as time has gone on. Let's dive back into (some of) the Grammy's biggest f*ck ups from over the years and find some cynical comfort in the the Grammy's mediocrity, since they shouldn't be regarded as any determinant of popular culture.
2005: Maroon 5 Over Kanye West
For some millennials, Maroon 5's "Best New Artist" win over Kanye West in 2005 was one of the first times we felt a need to destroy the patriarchy. While no one could have predicted that Maroon 5 would dissolve into a "karaoke version of themselves," the disregard for Kanye West at (what many called) his breakout moment would forever breed resentment in our little hearts. At least we got this laughably awkward interview out of the whole thing.
- Kendrick Lamar Lyrics to Get You Through The 2020 Election - Popdust ›
- Beyonce, Bridgers, Black Pumas: 2020 Grammy Nominations ›
- Taylor Swift Fans and BTS Fans Outraged After Grammy Snubs ... ›
- Grammy nominations 2020: Biggest snubs and surprises ›
- Grammy Nominations 2020: The Biggest Snubs and Surprises | Time ›
- Taylor Swift snubbed for best album and more Grammy surprises ... ›
- Taylor Swift, Jonas Brothers, Maren Morris Snubbed for Grammys ... ›
- The Greatest Grammys Snubs of All Time ›
- 2020 Grammy Award Nominations: Snubs and Surprises | Billboard ›