Don't let your Boomer family get you down.
Thanksgiving has always been about food.
We suffer through the awkward small talk and often anti-climactic football games for the sake of the meal that awaits us at the end of the day, and even then that "meal" is representative of ethnic cleansing and genocide. But there are a few other pros that lay outside of gorging yourself on mashed potatoes. The holiday always falls on a Thursday, which means you always have a four day weekend. Black Friday is also the following day, so despite whatever infuriating experiences you may have on Thanksgiving with your family, you can at least rest easy knowing you can go out and buy enough stuff to numb the pain.
These reasons alone are enough to warrant celebration. So while you clench your jaw through what is almost guaranteed to be a painfully long afternoon, why not curate some music to help elevate your mood and remind yourself that a four day weekend of relaxation awaits?
"Thank U" By Alanis Morrisette
- 30 Best Thanksgiving Songs for Your Turkey Day Playlist - Music to ... ›
- Pass The Pie, Cherish The Day: A Thanksgiving Playlist : All Songs ... ›
- 29 Best Thanksgiving Songs for 2019 - Fun Thanksgiving Music ... ›
- 40 Best Thanksgiving Songs for 2019 - Fun Thanksgiving Dinner ... ›
- 30 Best Thanksgiving Songs for Your Playlist 2019 ›
The new single from Nandi Rose deals with guilt from an ending friendship.
It's been argued time and time again that friendship breakups can sting worse than romantic ones.
Even if neither party is to blame, a fizzled companionship can lend itself to mournful guilt. It's these feelings of remorse that drive "In August," the latest single from Half Waif's Nandi Rose. According to the singer/songwriter, the pensive song "tracks the dissolution of a friendship over the course of a year, throughout every season." As she explains in a statement, "There's a particular kind of sadness to a friendship ending when there's no one to blame, just as there's something mournful about the inevitable change of weather. Sometimes it's not a big fight but a gradual growing apart that marks the end—how do we make sense of our role in that? This song is an attempt to recognize and accept mutual culpability in an effort to move on."
"In August" begins with a funereal piano introduction that soon gives way to Half Waif's unique brand of layered, shadowy synth-pop. Looming and somber, the track finds Rose contemplative on both sides of the friendship's end. "I wonder how you've been / Oh, I have lost your friendship / What does that say about me?" she sings. Later: "You've broken your promise / What does that say about you?"
"In August" is neither self-destructive or accusatory, instead weighing the mutual faults between herself and her subject. "If I can own / Up to what I've done / Then I'll get it together / Will you follow?" go the song's final lines, as the instrumentals fade out as seamlessly as a missed connection.
Half Waif - "In August" (Lyric Video) www.youtube.com
- Half Waif Shares Poignant New Single "In August," Postpones North ... ›
- R5 Productions » Half Waif – Tickets – Everybody Hits ... ›
- mxdwn Music - all that matters in music ›
- On the Rise at LPR with Half Waif, Hannah Epperson, and Pollens ... ›
- Concert preview: Half Waif at Ace of Cups - Entertainment ... ›
- Half Waif's 'Lavender' Offers A Ritual Of Beauty And Purification : NPR ›
- mxdwn.com - all that matters in entertainment ›
- Half Waif : NPR ›
- Half Waif ›
- Half Waif Postpones Tour Dates, Shares New Song: Listen | Pitchfork ›