"Did we mention sex?"
Since Hugh Hefner's death in 2017, Playboy's been re-branding itself to appeal to millennials by hiring fine art photographers for high concept photo shoots, naming a gay man and proud Taylor Swift fan as its executive editor, re-committing to printing nudity, and replacing its original motto, "Entertainment for men," with "Naked is normal."
The next issue of the 66-year-old publication will feature Kylie Jenner, the make-up mogul and "self-made billionaire" who was raised before America's eyes on Keeping Up with the Kardashians (you know, that 17-season reality TV show about the millionaires who make their livings as walking Instagram ads, because they're "self-made").
The 22-year-old posted a photo on Instagram of herself and boyfriend Travis Scott (the two share a one-year-old daughter, Stormi). Jenner poses nude in just a cowboy hat, embracing a shirtless Scott for Playboy's "Pleasure" issue. According to Playboy's website, the theme "is a celebration of the things that bring us joy: sex, art, food, music, spiritual connection, travel, cannabis and community. And did we mention sex?"
The magazine adds, "In this issue, we aren't only showcasing the artists and creators who bring us joy; we're also shining a light on visionaries and revolutionaries who are fighting to expand access to pleasure for all."
Even if we put aside our wonderment at what cultural, linguistic, and spiritual rot we're witnessing in the pages of Playboy these days, since when is a "men's lifestyle" and entertainment magazine ever not about "pleasure?" And when did Kylie Jenner become a "visionary?" And if she constitutes one, where is the adult film world's rising auteur, Bella Thorne, who recently directed a "beautiful and ethereal" film as part of P*rnhub's Visionaries Director's series? The questions are endless.
- Is that Lil Nas X's hat?
- How does Kylie manage to look both 17 and 53 at once?
- What does Travis Scott, like, do all day?
- Is this photo a philosophical take on how only nature can nurture true love?
- How much did that watch company pay to be included on Travis Scott's wrist?
- How do we know that's really Kylie?
- Then again, what percentage of Kylie is really Kylie, these days?
- What happens if I sort of dig this?
- Would Gloria Steinem hate me if I kind of dig this?
- Was Kylie Jenner popular in high school?
- How hot was it outside? It looks hot.
- Didn't a cowboy hat make it feel even hotter?
- Why wear a cowboy hat on an already hot day if your hot cakes are out?
- Is "Kylie Jenner" a palindrome?
- Oh. No. "Kylie Jenner" backwards is "renneJ eilyK." What's up with that?
- Why did Travis Scott get to wear clothes?
- Was that a sexist thing? I'd hate to think Kylie was involved with a sexist thing.
- What does their daughter want to be when she grows up?
- If their daughter grows up to be a Playboy bunny, will Travis Scott be fine with that?
- Who's going to send this cover to their daughter on her 18th birthday?
- If art is dead, did Instagram kill it?
- What happens if I think Playboy's "Pleasure" theme sounds pretty cool?
- Also, why does the theme sound like the description for a music festival?
- Is this subliminal advertising for Coachella?
- "Are you there, Coachella? It's me, Kylie": Is that the caption?
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for 'Playboy' With Travis Scott: See Photo ... ›
- Kylie Jenner, Travis Scott Announce Nude 'Playboy' Photo Shoot ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude With Travis Scott for Playboy Cover - XXL ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for Playboy Cover with Travis Scott ›
- Kylie Jenner & Travis Scott Star in Playboy "Pleasure" Issue ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for 'Playboy' With Boyfriend Travis Scott ... ›
- Kylie Jenner Did a Loving (Tasteful?) Nude Playboy Shoot with ... ›
- Kylie Jenner, Travis Scott tease upcoming Playboy cover with naked ... ›
- Kylie Jenner poses nude with Travis Scott for Playboy ›
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott featured in Playboy - CNN ›
Progressive psych-rock with trippy energy.
Hidden Beams, the Brooklyn alt-electronic project of Carlos Argon, introduces his new single, "Reveal."
It's the hitmaker's latest video, and it marks his official metamorphosis from cowboy to robot.
Lil Nas X has officially hacked the system.
The official video for "Panini" just dropped, and it's an ultra-futuristic, Blade Runner-inspired montage of neon lights and dancing holograms.
In the video, the "Old Town Road" singer essentially stalks a girl to the point that she eventually leaps out of an airplane (wearing a parachute) in order to escape his advances—of course, that doesn't work, and he floats after her wearing hover-boots. It's creepy if you think of it as a genuine depiction of stalking, but here's hoping that Lil Nas X meant this as an allegory for the fact that his songs are just impossible to get out of one's head, or that he's an inescapable presence in the media.
This seems even more likely when you remember that Lil Nas X is openly gay, and just yesterday he spoke out about why he waited until he was famous to come out. So it wouldn't make sense for him to manufacture a straight relationship in his music video (right?).
Regardless, the song "Panini" itself is a smooth one minute-and-fifty-five-second post-genre earworm. If it sounds familiar, that's because the chorus sounds borrows from Nirvana's "In Bloom"—which Kurt Cobain's daughter, Francis Bean, just officially approved. Ultimately, it proves once again that Lil Nas X is a master at revamping some of the deepest archetypes in American iconography (cowboys and robots) and putting his own charming, absurd twist on them. He's playing all of us, and yet he means it completely.
Lil Nas X - Panini (Official Video) www.youtube.com
- The Identity Crisis Behind Lil Nas X's Debut EP "7" - Popdust ›
- Lil Nax X Continues His Reign as Meme-Lord with Latest "Old Town ... ›
- Lil Nas X's “Panini” Doesn't Live Up to the Hype - Popdust ›
- Lil Nas X's new song just made the panini far greater than a sandwich ›
- nope on Twitter: "Lil Nas X - Panini (Official Video) https://t.co ... ›
- Lil Nas X Had Never Heard 'Nevermind' Before Making the Nirvana ... ›
- Frances Bean Cobain approved Lil Nas X's Nirvana sample on 'Panini' ›
- Panini by Lil Nas X | Free Listening on SoundCloud ›
- Frances Bean Cobain Approved Nirvana Sample in Lil Nas X's 'Panini' ›
- Lil Nas X – Panini Lyrics | Genius Lyrics ›
- Lil Nas X - Panini (Lyrics) - YouTube ›
- Panini (song) - Wikipedia ›
- Lil Nas X - Panini (Official Audio) - YouTube ›
- Lil Nas X - Panini (Official Audio) - YouTube ›