The Maryland rapper's latest release is a stripped-down affair experimenting with tone and emotion.
"The midnight ferry crashed into the fire escape…"
That's the line that opens the lovelorn "New York Time," a stripped-back acoustic track from Maryland artist Cab Ellis. The song, featuring only a guitar, a harmonica, and Ellis' twisting voice, moves back and forth between surreal images like this and memories of a tumultuous relationship, playing with absurdity and heartache with a performatively casual air.
Born Connor Abeles, Ellis came up as a rapper while studying at Emerson College in Boston. Most recently, he released his mixtape Gorgeous Nonsense, a multi-year effort primarily focused on Ellis' version of hip-hop. "New York Time" is a far cry from that world, leaving behind his complex bars for a more contemplative folk sound, closer to city-bound folk-rockers like L.A. Salami. Ellis sings with a slight ironic edge lurking under his voice, especially on lines like "I don't wanna look at you too hard / I'm afraid I might see a future." His bitterness masks a classic ballad heartbreak, lending a theatrical authenticity to Ellis' coarse drawl-singing. "New York Time" seems to be Ellis experimenting not only with genre, but with emotional registers, what styles and sounds can bear the weight of the stories he wants to tell.
It's unclear whether this experiment will turn into a full-blown pivot, but either way, this experimental artist is worth paying attention to.
Matthew Apadula is a writer and music critic from New York. His work has previously appeared on GIGsoup Music and in Drunk in a Midnight Choir. Find him on Twitter @imdoingmybest.
POP⚡DUST | Read More...
Meowth is best cat.
Going into Pokemon Sword and Shield, I was unimpressed with the new starter Pokemon.
Meh.The Pokemon Company
I normally gravitate towards fire-type starters, but Cinderace was a little too humanoid-rabbit-wearing-pants for my tastes. Inteleon was just "lol no." Rillaboom hit the closest to my usual favorite powerhouse aesthetic (think Charizard, Blaziken, and Incineroar), but something about him didn't quite feel right (or maybe I just don't connect with grass types?).
- The Pokemon Community Has Gone Toxic Over Sword and Shield ... ›
- "Pokemon Unite": Why Pokemon Fans Will Never Get Their Dream Game - Popdust ›
- Alolan Meowth ›
- Meowth Bundle | Online Exclusive | Pokemon | Build-A-Bear® ›
- Meowth - Wikipedia ›
- Meowth | Pokédex ›
- Meowth - #052 - Serebii.net Pokédex ›
- Meowth Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ... ›
- Meowth (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon ... ›
- Pokemon Sword And Pokemon Shield - New Gigantamax Pikachu ... ›
- 'Pokémon Sword and Shield's Gigantamax Meowth looks a lot like ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX MEOWTH MONEY GUIDE! EASY MONEY in ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX POKÉMON are coming to the Pokémon Sword and ... ›
- How to Get Gigantamax Meowth / Kantonian Meowth in Pokemon ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield: How To Claim Gigantamax Meowth ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield get Fat Pikachu, Longcat Meowth ... ›
- List of Every Gigantamax Pokemon - Pokemon Sword and Shield ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find Gigantamax Meowth ›