They fixed it. They actually fixed it.
After the Internet at large rightly condemned the original Sonic the Hedgehog movie design as an utter abomination, the animators went back to the drawing board.
Now they've returned with a whole new trailer and...damn, Sonic's actually looking fresh.
Sonic The Hedgehog (2020) - New Official Trailer - Paramount Pictures www.youtube.com
It's hard to overemphasize how much better the new Sonic design looks compared to the previous one. For those of you who forcibly removed the original trailer from your mind, perhaps through intentional brain injury, here's a side-by-side comparison.
New (left) and old (right)Sega/ Paramount Pictures
The new design actually resembles the Sonic we've always known and loved, with his big cartoon eyes and lack of over-sized nightmare human teeth. The old one is an actual war crime.
But Sonic's updated design isn't the only spot where the new trailer shines. From the opening shot set in the immediately recognizable Green Hill Zone (the first level of the original Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis) to the clip of Sonic dashing along the Great Wall of China, the new trailer makes a convincing argument for how fun Sonic could be in the real world.
With the exception of Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik, the original Sonic trailer failed on every conceivable front. As a lifelong Sonic fan, I was dreading the movie's inevitable release which, I was sure, would completely bastardize a character I grew up with. I'm happy to say that my opinion has done a total 180. The new trailer made me feel hopeful in the same way I felt when I watched the first trailer for Detective Pikachu (I ultimately thought the movie was just okay, but the real-life Pokemon designs were fantastic), and it's great to see Ben Schwartz's excellent Sonic voice acting come through, too.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm really looking forward to the live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movie.
- Sonic The Hedgehog (2020) - New Official Trailer - Paramount ... ›
- Sonic The Hedgehog (2019) - Official Trailer - Paramount Pictures ... ›
- SONIC: THE HEDGEHOG Trailer (2020) - YouTube ›
- Sonic the Hedgehog returns with bigger eyes and fewer teeth in new ... ›
- New trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog released after disastrous first ... ›
- Paramount Pictures releases trailer with revamped 'Sonic the ... ›
- 'Sonic the Hedgehog' movie tries again with a new trailer | Engadget ›
- The new Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer is a giant relief | Film ... ›
- Sonic The Hedgehog - Official Trailer 2 (2020) Jim Carrey, James ... ›
- 'Sonic the Hedgehog' trailer, Jim Carrey's dancing praised on Twitter ›
Eat like a pop idol.
Chef Paul Wahlberg always knows when his brother, Donnie Wahlberg, is in town. How? A mass of fans will turn up to their Wahlburgers restaurant chain, signaling that the New Kids on the Block singer is on his way!
"I know Donnie's coming because the Blockheads come beforehand," Paul tells us. "The message gets out there, everyone comes and that unity is amazing."
Donnie and Paul teamed up with actor brother Mark Wahlberg to launch their first Wahlburgers in Massachusetts in 2011, and the business, now global, was also the focus of reality TV series, Wahlburgers.
- Will Pop Music Get Happier in 2020? - Popdust ›
- Find the Perfect TV/Movie-Themed Bar for You - Popdust ›
- BTS Makes Being a Korean-American Adoptee (a Little) Easier ... ›
- EXCLUSIVE: One Direction Takes The Ultimate Boy Band Pop Quiz ... ›
- When Is a Boy Band Not a Boy Band? When You Ask Them If They Are ›