It's possible to take character acting too far.
Acting is a strange trade.
By nature of the profession, an actor is supposed to don various masks, completely immerse themselves in a role to the point that they can convince audiences that they're someone else entirely, then discard it all as soon as the show or movie is done—only to start up again as a different character.
Many actors do this effortlessly, but others have dived too deep into their roles, losing touch with their real selves in the process. These actors have taken character acting a bit too far.
7. Kate Winslet — The Reader
Winslet won an Oscar for her role as Nazi camp guard Hannah Schmitz, but the role apparently left her traumatized for months. "Once you see documentary footage of the camp, you read anything on the Holocaust, you can never un-see those things, you can never un-hear, un-read them. I'm still absolutely traumatized by so much of what I saw during the preparation process," she told The Huffington Post. Apparently, the reverberations of the role continued long after the movie was wrapped, and the experience left Winslet feeling like "some car crash victim who somehow hadn't been hurt on the outside, but I felt like I couldn't speak [about it]," she said. "It was truly overwhelming. I really went somewhere. I was in some kind of a trance. And I'm still coming to terms with all of it."
- Why is Keanu Reeves the Only Good Celebrity? - Popdust ›
- Taylor Swift Now Openly Recruiting Actors to Be Her Next Celebrity ... ›
- Method Acting Moments That Went Too Far ›
- Scenes that pushed actors too far ›
- Scenes That Pushed Actors Too Far - YouTube ›
- Times Method Actors Took Things Way Too Far - YouTube ›
- are we pushing horror film actors too far? - i-D ›
- Actors Who Took Method Acting Too Far - VH1 News ›
- 15 Times Stars Took Method Acting Too Far | Mental Floss ›
- Hollywood Has Ruined Method Acting ›
- The Devastating Story Of How The Joker Haunted Every Actor Who ... ›
- Why Acting Is An Insanely Dangerous Job | Screen Rant ›