The original A Quiet Place had a lot of plot holes.
A Quiet Place Part II, the sequel to John Krasinki's 2017 hit horror/thriller A Quiet Place, is coming out later this month.
But while the original put audiences on edge with its pervasive use of silence, the movie ultimately fell victim to a number of plot holes that made it hard to stay fully immersed. Since the concept of A Quiet Place (monsters that hunt through sound, resulting in the protagonists' need to stay quiet at all times) has so much potential, here are the biggest issues we hope get fixed in the sequel.
The Monsters' Sense of Hearing
One of the biggest plot holes in the film revolves around the strength of the monsters' hearing. We catch a glimpse of a newspaper clipping explaining that the monsters' blindness enhances their super-hearing, but how powerful is their hearing, really? If the monsters are able to hear a branch being broken from miles away, shouldn't they also be able to hear the heartbeats of all of the human characters? Wouldn't it be especially hard for them not to hear the heartbeat of the mother, Evelyn, as she literally gives birth? Maybe they're able to selectively control their hearing. That would be interesting to explore in A Quiet Place Part II.
Speaking of the newborn, the extreme irresponsibility of having a child in the middle of an apocalyptic event almost goes beyond any notion of sense. Sure, it's reasonable to want to relieve some stress during a time of crisis, but they had to know that there might be consequences. Also, there's no way the baby would survive until the sequel, considering how much they cry. Crying is a baby's defense mechanism, so babies are basically natural prey for sound-hunting monsters. Including the baby might be a nice way to amp up the emotional weight of the film, but it weighs the family down beyond any point of realism.
Beating the Beast
In the climax of the film, Emily uses her deaf daughter, Regan's cochlear implant to stun the monster, giving her the opportunity to kill it. But if disarming the monster is as simple as making high-frequency noises, this begs the question: Why was no one able to figure out that loud noises harmed the monsters before? Shouldn't this be common knowledge? It's safe to assume that there were scientists in their world at one point, so were they all just killed before they could come to the correct conclusion? Hopefully in the sequel, they'll have perfected the use of high frequency weapons in creative capacities.
If the family knew the location of a waterfall that drowned out sound so well that it made human screams inaudible, why didn't they just live near it in the first place? Even if the monsters used it as their watering hole, which we have no reason to believe they did, the humans could still just stay out of their way or maybe even sneak up and kill them if given the chance. That makes a lot more practical sense than living in an open field where any sound would almost definitely echo. No reason was ever given as to why that area might be uninhabitable, so it's insane to think that they could've been totally safe and hydrated but for some reason decided against it.
A Quiet Place became a success due to its ability to build suspense based on the silence, but hopefully the sequel can include what worked in the original while ironing out some of the more glaring issues..A Quiet Place Part II will be released March 20, 2020.
- BOX OFFICE BREAKDOWN | Trauma, drama, and prom on film ... ›
- Does Anyone Want "A Quiet Place 2" During a Pandemic? - Popdust ›
- A Quiet Place (2018) - Rotten Tomatoes ›
- Review: In John Krasinski's 'A Quiet Place,' Silence Means Survival ... ›
- The true plot hole in A Quiet Place : plotholes ›
- Actually, You Don't Understand What A Plot Hole Is, So Please Shut ... ›
- A Quiet Place: Waterfall Plot Hole Explained | A Quiet Place ... ›
- Dumb things in A Quiet Place that everyone just ignored ›
- Falling down the plot holes: Why 'A Quiet Place' is a loud ... ›
- A Quiet Place (2018) : Movie Plot Holes Explained | This is Barry ›
- 8 Huge 'A Quiet Place' Plot Holes - John Krasinski New Movie Spoilers ›
- 20 A Quiet Place Movie Plot Holes - Why Didn't The Characters Live ... ›
- The reason John Krasinski returned for A Quiet Place 2 ›
- A Quiet Place Part II (2020) | Fandango ›
- 'A Quiet Place: Part II': release date, cast, plot, trailer and everything ... ›
- 'A Quiet Place Part II' First Reactions: Unbearably Tense Sequel ... ›
- A Quiet Place Part II: Get Tickets | Paramount Pictures ›
- How A Quiet Place Part II brings back John Krasinski and Emily ... ›