The rapper's magnum opus turned 10 years old over the weekend.
It's almost eerie how accurately Kanye West predicted his own fate when he uttered the words "I miss the old Kanye" on 2016's The Life of Pablo.
In my head, and likely in the memories of many others, there are two Kanyes: a then and a now. Both are cocky, self-important, certifiable jerks, but then, he at least still felt a marginal need to continue proving himself.
Now, he's so immeasurably detached from reality that it's a little hard to take anything he does or creates seriously—at this point, I find it difficult to even care. I don't want to explicitly cite a certain presidential election and its aftermath as the dividing line between the Kanye of then and now in my conscience, but...yeah, Kanye rubbing elbows with Trump was pretty much the last straw for me.
Who's to blame for this disparity?
This may sound like stereotyping, but most of my male friends, the straight ones at least, don't listen—and won't listen—to female artists.
Part of me always knew this, but a recent trip with a bunch of dudes ignited a lightbulb in my brain that (spoiler alert!) we're mostly boring and predictable with our tastes in music, pop culture, and otherwise. After being tortured incessantly by hours of Bro Rock and Breaking Benjamin, it hit me: Not a single song played over the course of the entire weekend was sung by a female artist.
Why is that?
- To Achieve Gender Equality in Music, We Need More Female ... ›
- Lana Del Rey, Billie Eilish, and the Sexist Backlash Against Female ... ›
- The Future of Rock Is Female - Popdust ›
- Haim Share New Song "I Know Alone": Listen - Popdust ›
- "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" and the Creation of the Female Gaze - Popdust ›
- Artists make push for gender equality in music industry with all ... ›
- Tracking the Gender Balance of This Year's Music Festival Lineups ... ›
- The Music Industry Still Has A Long Way To Go For Gender Equality ›
- Music's biggest stars are women. Music festivals would make you ... ›
- Beyond Representation: In Music And Media, Gender Equality Will ... ›
- Equality for 'great women artists' is a long struggle, far from over ... ›
- 10 Best Female Artists of All time - Most Influential Female Artists ... ›