The NBA star visited The Ellen DeGeneres Show to share his experience raising a teen in the LGBTQ+ community.
Dwyane Wade might be best known for his work on the court, but he's also gaining popularity for being a stellar ally to the LGBTQ+ community.
The NBA star caused a buzz late last year when he began referring to his 12-year-old child with she/her pronouns. During a recent visit to The Ellen DeGeneres Show to promote his new ESPN documentary, Wade spoke further about his experience as the father of a transgender teen.
"Me and my wife, Gabrielle Union, we are proud parents of a child in the LGBTQ+ community, and we're proud allies as well," Wade explained. "We take our roles and responsibilities as parents very seriously, so when our child comes home with a question, when our child comes home with an issue, when our child comes home with anything, it's our job as parents to listen to that, to give them the best information that we can."
Wade explained that when his child—who was assigned male at birth and originally named Zion—decided to go by Zaya and use she/her pronouns, he and Union wanted to do everything they could to educate themselves on transgender identities and gender fluidity. He said Union reached out to the cast of Pose, the FX show that focuses on LGBTQA POC in New York City. "We're just trying to figure out as much information as we can to make sure that we give our child the best opportunity to be her best self," Wade added.
By speaking publicly about Zaya's identity and the experience of parenting a trans child, Wade and Union serve as heartwarming examples of genuine unconditional love. Last year, the American Medical Association referred to violence against transgender people as an "epidemic"; especially in the current climate instilled by an often anti-trans administration. It's worth noting that black trans women are killed at especially alarming rates. Parenting queer and trans children might be confusing and require some adjusting, but Wade is showing the world the difference that a loving heart and s willingness to learn can make.
- Dwyane Wade talked about raising a gay kid & every parent needs ... ›
- Dwayne Wade tells Ellen DeGeneres he wants transgender child ... ›
- A Mom of A Trans Daughter Applauds Charlize Theron's Parenting ›
- Dwyane Wade on supporting his LGBTQ child: 'Nothing changes ... ›
- We Need More Parents Like Dwayne Wade and Gabrielle Union ›
- NBA star Dwyane Wade says it's 'my job as a father' to support his ... ›
- NBA Legend Dwyane Wade Gives Moving Speech on Parenting a ... ›
- Dwyane Wade, Gabrielle Union support son Zion at gay pride parade ›
- Dwyane Wade Talks About Transgender Son Turning Into Who 'She ... ›
- Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union defend son's appearance in ... ›
- Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union's simple, open-armed act of ... ›