It's been four grueling years of no new music from Rihanna.
The world's wealthiest female musician hasn't been making a lot of music lately.
It's officially been four years since our majesty Robyn Rihanna Fenty released her eighth and most recent album, ANTI. That's not to say she hasn't been busy—she is running her own lines of makeup and lingerie, after all.
But no matter how successful, Rihanna's recent business and acting endeavors could never satisfy our need for her music. A lot has happened since January 2016, and we're long overdue for another record to soundtrack all our bad b*tch and sad b*tch moments.
To evidence just how much time has passed, here are 27 things that have happened since Rihanna released ANTI.
- Leonardo DiCaprio won his first Oscar.
- Prince and David Bowie died just months apart from each other.
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt divorced.
- One Direction broke up, and each member released a solo album.
- Kim Kardashian was robbed in Paris.
- Beyoncé debuted her visual album Lemonade on HBO.
- Ryan Lochte lied about being robbed in Rio.
- Donald Trump was elected president of the United States.
- Ariana Grande organized her One Love Manchester benefit concert in less than two weeks.
- The #MeToo hashtag took flight.
- Beyoncé pulled out of her Coachella headline slot because she was pregnant with twins. She made up for it the next year with arguably the best, most detailed festival performance of all time.
- Beyonce and JAY-Z made an album together and rented out the f--king Louvre.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle got engaged, married, had a baby, and essentially resigned from the Royal Family.
- The Snapchat hotdog took over the world.
- Peppa Pig also took over the world.
- Kendall Jenner starred in both a really tone-deaf Pepsi commercial and a really weird Lil Dicky music video.
- Kris Jenner welcomed five new grandchildren who will never have to work a day in their lives. One of whom is Rob Kardashian's daughter with Blac Chyna, who also has a child with Tyga, the ex of Rob's half-sister Kylie Jenner.
- Taylor Swift was reportedly transported in a massive suitcase.
- The first Women's March took place.
- Bobby Berk did the absolute most for the least amount of recognition when the Queer Eye reboot hit Netflix.
- Pete Davidson started dating Ariana Grande, got engaged to Ariana Grande, broke up with Ariana Grande, dated Kate Beckinsdale, dated Kaia Gerber...am I missing anyone?
- Ariana Grande released the two best albums of her career just months apart.
- Cardi B threw a shoe at Nicki Minaj.
- The Jonas Brothers reunited and two of them got married.
- In just 10 days, a stock photo of an egg dethroned Kylie Jenner for the most-liked photo on Instagram.
- The U.S. Women's Soccer team won the World Cup.
- In an absolutely iconic power move, Rihanna mentioned in a cover story for Vogue that she and Drake are no longer friends.
GTY 588698950 S SPO OLY BRA Getty Images
- 7 Of the Best Anti-War Songs - Popdust ›
- Rihanna Rolling Stones trump song use stop - Popdust ›
- Why Beyonce’s Lemonade Was One of the Best Pieces of Art Ever Made - Popdust ›
The playwright and AIDS activist died at 84.
Larry Kramer, AIDS activist and artist, passed away today at 84.
Kramer was known for his books Faggots and The American People, as well as climate-changing plays like The Normal Heart. His close friend and literary executor, William Schwalbe, told CNN that Kramer died of pneumonia."Larry made a huge contribution to our world as an activist but also as a writer," said Schwalbe, who had known Kramer for 57 years. "I believe that his plays and novels, from 'The Normal Heart' to 'The American People' will more than stand the test of time."
Rihanna has announced her first book, in the nick of time.
Today, Rihanna (mogul, fashion designer, superstar, icon) announced that she's going to be releasing her first book.
For a long time, it's seemed like books and print media were on a downward spiral, but fortunately Rihanna has arrived just in time to fill the physical book industry with new vigor and promise. Only someone with her kind of star power could achieve such a feat.
Enter Rihanna, a new "visual autobiography" that contains over 1,000 photos across 504 pages. Its images will span the early years of her childhood in Barbados to her world tours and everything in between.
Weighing about 15 pounds and costing about $175, the book will be released on October 10th. Its release will coincide with a party at the Guggenheim, hosted by Rihanna herself.
What is it about Rihanna that makes her so aesthetically pleasing to look at, which will ultimately make her photo book a surefire bestseller? It's possibly because she's beautiful inside and out—her company Fenty Beauty has made waves for its unprecedented diversity, and Rihanna herself has schooled Internet users on everything from trans rights to inclusivity. She's brashly sensual, super confident, entirely ageless, honest, and unashamed. She's given us eight exquisite pop albums. She continued to thrive after everything that happened with Chr*s Br*wn. She effortlessly avoids questions about her next album and remains unshaken by pregnancy rumors. She seems to exist in a slightly separate universe from the rest of us, evading most of the typical waves of controversy and shaming that surround most stars in our modern media landscape.
In many ways, Rihanna floats outside of our messy reality, shimmering in a dimension of her own and representing a sort of archetypal beauty, composure, and power that we all can't help but envy. It's kind of impossible to imagine her posting a mental health confession, as so many other celebrities have, or showing up anywhere looking less than angelic. (That's not an accident: She reportedly spends $38,000 a week on her beauty regime. Of course, she also operates several charities and hosts a multitude of benefit galas). She almost seems like a relic of the 2010s' vision of unattainable, impenetrable, perpetually camera-ready glamour, but her sway over our contemporary universe cannot be underestimated: Snapchat lost $800 million after she criticized an ad for making light of domestic violence. And have you seen her first selfie?
Sure, she's milking capitalism and her own image for all they're worth to great success—with a net worth of $600 million, she's the world's richest female musician—but it's hard not to worship at her altar. She's Rihanna, after all.
- The Rihanna Look Book ›
- Rihanna Rumored For 'The Batman' As Poison Ivy | Cosmic Book ... ›
- Inside Rihanna's Diamond Ball, Where Cardi B Won an Auction and ... ›
- Rihanna As Marie Antoinette On the Cover of CR Fashion Book ›
- Cardi B Outbids Herself at Rihanna's Diamond Ball Auction ... ›
- Rihanna: The Last Girl on Earth: Amazon.co.uk: Rihanna ... ›
- Rihanna: The Unauthorized Biography: Danny White ... ›
- 16 Book Covers as Rihanna Outfits - Electric Literature ›
- Rihanna: Simon Henwood, Alexander Vauthier: Amazon.com: Books ›
- Rihanna (book) - Wikipedia ›