"Did we mention sex?"
Since Hugh Hefner's death in 2017, Playboy's been re-branding itself to appeal to millennials by hiring fine art photographers for high concept photo shoots, naming a gay man and proud Taylor Swift fan as its executive editor, re-committing to printing nudity, and replacing its original motto, "Entertainment for men," with "Naked is normal."
The next issue of the 66-year-old publication will feature Kylie Jenner, the make-up mogul and "self-made billionaire" who was raised before America's eyes on Keeping Up with the Kardashians (you know, that 17-season reality TV show about the millionaires who make their livings as walking Instagram ads, because they're "self-made").
The 22-year-old posted a photo on Instagram of herself and boyfriend Travis Scott (the two share a one-year-old daughter, Stormi). Jenner poses nude in just a cowboy hat, embracing a shirtless Scott for Playboy's "Pleasure" issue. According to Playboy's website, the theme "is a celebration of the things that bring us joy: sex, art, food, music, spiritual connection, travel, cannabis and community. And did we mention sex?"
The magazine adds, "In this issue, we aren't only showcasing the artists and creators who bring us joy; we're also shining a light on visionaries and revolutionaries who are fighting to expand access to pleasure for all."
Even if we put aside our wonderment at what cultural, linguistic, and spiritual rot we're witnessing in the pages of Playboy these days, since when is a "men's lifestyle" and entertainment magazine ever not about "pleasure?" And when did Kylie Jenner become a "visionary?" And if she constitutes one, where is the adult film world's rising auteur, Bella Thorne, who recently directed a "beautiful and ethereal" film as part of P*rnhub's Visionaries Director's series? The questions are endless.
- Is that Lil Nas X's hat?
- How does Kylie manage to look both 17 and 53 at once?
- What does Travis Scott, like, do all day?
- Is this photo a philosophical take on how only nature can nurture true love?
- How much did that watch company pay to be included on Travis Scott's wrist?
- How do we know that's really Kylie?
- Then again, what percentage of Kylie is really Kylie, these days?
- What happens if I sort of dig this?
- Would Gloria Steinem hate me if I kind of dig this?
- Was Kylie Jenner popular in high school?
- How hot was it outside? It looks hot.
- Didn't a cowboy hat make it feel even hotter?
- Why wear a cowboy hat on an already hot day if your hot cakes are out?
- Is "Kylie Jenner" a palindrome?
- Oh. No. "Kylie Jenner" backwards is "renneJ eilyK." What's up with that?
- Why did Travis Scott get to wear clothes?
- Was that a sexist thing? I'd hate to think Kylie was involved with a sexist thing.
- What does their daughter want to be when she grows up?
- If their daughter grows up to be a Playboy bunny, will Travis Scott be fine with that?
- Who's going to send this cover to their daughter on her 18th birthday?
- If art is dead, did Instagram kill it?
- What happens if I think Playboy's "Pleasure" theme sounds pretty cool?
- Also, why does the theme sound like the description for a music festival?
- Is this subliminal advertising for Coachella?
- "Are you there, Coachella? It's me, Kylie": Is that the caption?
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for 'Playboy' With Travis Scott: See Photo ... ›
- Kylie Jenner, Travis Scott Announce Nude 'Playboy' Photo Shoot ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude With Travis Scott for Playboy Cover - XXL ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for Playboy Cover with Travis Scott ›
- Kylie Jenner & Travis Scott Star in Playboy "Pleasure" Issue ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for 'Playboy' With Boyfriend Travis Scott ... ›
- Kylie Jenner Did a Loving (Tasteful?) Nude Playboy Shoot with ... ›
- Kylie Jenner, Travis Scott tease upcoming Playboy cover with naked ... ›
- Kylie Jenner poses nude with Travis Scott for Playboy ›
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott featured in Playboy - CNN ›
Let's revisit some of the great summer mixtapes to help ease the pangs of summertime nostalgia
Bonfires with our friends, balmy summer days spent by the lake passing a spliff and sipping on a Corona, summertime love affairs—it all may feel like a past life now.
The rollout for summer 2020 is unlike anything before it. While Americans everywhere try to retain a sense of normalcy, it will be impossible to enjoy summer the way we want to. Bitter nostalgia for the summers of yore is rampant. Luckily, music has remained the one constant. To help unwind in these times of heightened anxiety, it helps to revisit some of the mixtapes that brought us childhood bliss, that pumped us up when school dismissed for summer, that blasted through our car speakers as we cruised with the windows down with our friends in tow. Here are a few of the greatest mixtapes of summers past, in the hopes it will bring back the fond memories that, right now, may feel distant.
"last one i PROMISSEE"
Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road (Remix)" is about to hit the 16-week mark at number 1.
If the song reaches the finish line, "Old Town Road (Remix)" will be the record with the most weeks at number one, a feat reached only twice before in music history. To keep the hype going, Lil Nas X released a fourth remix of the summer hit.
"Seoul Town Road" features RM, one of the seven members of the K-pop group BTS. The timing of the remix's release could not be better. Yesterday, BTS fans accused the VMAs of racism over the award show's decision to establish a Best K-Pop category; ARMY (BTS super fans) argue that the category is meant to limit the boy band's success and keep them from winning more mainstream awards. As a big f**ck you to the VMAs, Lil Nas X's decision to invite RM to hop on the hit track suggests that western artists respect BTS.
Unfortunately, the remix itself doesn't add anything that special to the original track. Despite stumbling with excessive autotune, RM does stick the landing on his own verse. And for those feeling fatigued by nonstop "Old Town Road" remixes, Lil Nas X promises this one will be his last. Even though "Seoul Town Road" isn't the performer's best remix, it sends a message that BTS is here to stay. ARMY will be sure to tip their hats to the rapper.
- Lil Nas X Is Ready to Storm Area 51 in "Old Town Raid" - Popdust ›
- The Identity Crisis Behind Lil Nas X's Debut EP "7" - Popdust ›
- Lil Nas X's “Panini” Doesn't Live Up to the Hype - Popdust ›
- Where Does Lil Nas X Go From Here? - Popdust ›
- Lil Nas X's 'Old Town Road' No. 1 on Hot 100 for 15th Week, Post ... ›
- Lil Nas X (@lilnasx) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Lil Nas X - Wikipedia ›
- Lil Nas X - YouTube ›
- nope (@LilNasX) | Twitter ›
- Lil Nas X teams up with BTS' RM for new Old Town remix Seoul ... ›
- Lil Nas X Links With BTS' RM For "Seoul Town Road" Remix ›
- Hear BTS' RM, Lil Nas X's 'Old Town Road' Remix – Rolling Stone ›
- Lil Nas X and BTS' RM Team up for 'Old Town Road' Remix | Billboard ›
- Lil Nas X Teams Up With BTS' RM for New Remix 'Seoul Town Road ... ›