Your one-stop breakdown of every new Pokémon and game mechanic in Pokémon Sword and Shield
This morning, Nintendo Direct gave us a slew of new information on Pokémon Sword and Shield, including the free-roam Wild Area, the Dynamax mechanic, and two new Legendary Pokémon.
You can watch the full Nintendo Direct here , but if you're short on time, here's a rundown of everything new to the Galar region:
Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble
's Starter Pokémon were revealed long before this Nintendo Direct, but we got to see them playing around, and they look especially cute animated on Nintendo Switch.
Pokémon designs have become more derivative with each generation, but it's hard to fault them too much now that there are over 800 species. To be clear, Wooloo is a sheep Pokémon that's
Mareep, because Mareep is Electric type and Wooloo is just a sheep.
This thing is just a stupid flower.
Gossifleur evolves into Eldegoss, and they're cotton now? Do flowers turn into cotton? Also, they just did Whimsicott in Generation VI, so whatever, I guess we have multiple cotton Pokémon.
Corviknight looks pretty cool, and it seems like we'll be seeing a good deal of them since it works as Galar region's taxi system. Also, surprisingly, this is the first raven Pokémon.
This is just a Digimon.
Okay, Zacian is insanely cool. It's basically
Sif from Dark Souls
but Pokémon-ized. They're also definitely the cooler of the two new Legendary Pokémon.
The other new Legendary Pokémon, Zamazenta, is like a less cool version of Zacian, because Zacian has a sword and Zamazenta just has a weird body.
Leon may be the Champion of the Galar Pokémon League, but he also thinks that wearing a cape over a sports jersey makes him look cool. Very weird dude; steer clear.
Hop is a chump, and he'll never be a worthy rival. He's also Leon's little brother, so we can all look forward to destroying his whole family.
Women. In. STEM. Move aside, Professor Oak, the future is female!
More. Women. In. STEM. Who says fashion and lab work can't go together?
Gym Leader Milo
The first new Gym Leader, Milo, is an absolute unit. Look at the sheer size of this lad. Too bad he uses Eldegoss, the lame cotton Pokémon. But dang, this boi hits the rack.
Dynamax is a new battle mechanic in
that you can use once per battle in order to make your Pokémon gigantic for three turns. Their attacks obviously become super-powered, too.
The Wild Area
The Wild Area is the new open space between towns and cities where Pokémon can roam free. Unlike previous mainline Pokémon games, Pokémon can be seen on the map. Events change based on date, time, and weather, and the environment holds many interactive secrets to uncover through exploration.
Max Raid Battles
's newest multiplayer feature, Max Raid Battles, allow you and three other players to join forces in the Wild Area to fight and catch special, ultra-powered Dynamax Pokémon.
Amazon is currently offering Prime members a $10 promotional credit when buying the game.
Best Buy is offering a $10 promotional credit, too, and also has a special dual-pack available which includes both Sword and Shield .
- The Pokemon Mimikyu Is a Great Metaphor for Autism - Popdust ›
- "Pokemon Unite": Why Pokemon Fans Will Never Get Their Dream Game - Popdust ›
- The "Digimon Adventure" Remake Symbolizes a Surge in Demand for Isekai Anime - Popdust ›
- All of Game Freak's Lies About Pokemon Sword and Shield - Popdust ›
- The Pokemon Community Has Gone Toxic Over Sword and Shield - Popdust ›
- Starter Pokemon and Evolutions - Pokemon Sword and Shield Wiki ... ›
- Pokémon Sword And Shield Will Have Co-Op Raids (And ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield are the new Nintendo Switch ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield are coming to the Switch this year - The ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield Nintendo Direct: watch the livestream ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield will launch on November 15th - The ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield - Bulbapedia, the community-driven ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield - New Pokémon ›