What other Korean solo artist has had a single debut as #1 on both the US and UK ITunes charts?
V (real name Taehyung), member of international K-Pop super group BTS, has just released a touching new song for Itaewon Class OST.
The hit drama stars Park Seo Joon, a friend of Taehyung, undoubtedly adding to the star's interest in recording a song for the soundtrack.
Before the song dropped, Taehyung said of the opporutnity, "I read the original webtoon 'Itaewon Class' before seeing the drama, and I remember that I enjoyed reading it, while also learning some life lessons from the story."
He continued, "The character of Park Sae Roy left a particularly deep impression on me, and I really liked him. So I'm really thrilled that a close friend of mine, whom I really like, is playing the role of Park Sae Roy."
He added, "I'm grateful to be able to take part in such a great drama with a self-composed song of mine. I hope that you'll show it a lot of love."
BTS fans did not disappoint, and "Sweet Night" has made Taehyung the only other Korean soloist after PSY to have a song debut at #1 on both US and Uk iTunes charts.
Listen to the moving track below:
[MV] V (BTS) - Sweet Night [이태원 클라쓰 OST Part.12(ITAEWON CLASS OST Part.12)] youtu.be
- BTS' New Album Map of the Soul: Persona is Disappointing - Popdust ›
- The New BTS Single, 'Black Swan,' Is a Genuine Masterpiece ... ›
- BTS Makes Being a Korean-American Adoptee (a Little) Easier ... ›
- The BTS ARMY's Allegations of Racism Are Misguided - Popdust ›
- The Hollywood Reporter's BTS Article Is Really Xenophobic - Popdust ›
- Grammy Awards Performers: From BTS to Lizzo - Popdust ›
- Is BTS Making a Political Statement in Their New "ON" Video ... ›
- BTS' Global Official Fanclub Army & General Presale by ... ›
- BTS ›
- BTS official (@bts.bighitofficial) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Sweet Night ›
- BTS member V's track Sweet Night featuring in Itaewon Class OST ... ›
- Taehyung Facts⁷ Sweet Night (@KTH_Facts) | Twitter ›
- V Sweet Night English Translation Lyrics Taehyung BTS ›
- Sweet Night by BTS V: Taehyung sends shivers & leaves you ... ›
- V Sweet Night English Lyrics Taehyung BTS ›
11 years ago, on July 10th, 2009, Colombian singer Shakira released the first single off her third studio album.
"She Wolf" is a synth-pop banger built on a B minor progression. It was, in many ways, an insane song, born out of the singer's own frustration and ennui.
Though the music was composed by John Hill and Sam Endicott, lead singer of post-punk band The Bravery, the lyrics were all Shakira's own. "[Shakira] contacted him (Hill), asking if he had any stuff," said Endicott. "We never had her in mind. We just made the thing independently of her, and then she liked it a lot, and she sang over it. She used some of the melodies we put in there and then wrote these crazy lyrics about being a werewolf. And that's how it happened."
Shakira - She Wolf www.youtube.com
Warner Bros. Takes Legal Action on Trump Campaign Ad Because of ‘Dark Knight’ Copyright Infringement
This isn't even the first time that Trump has run into trouble with copyright infringement
In the latest installment of the Trump-controlled reality TV show we're all living in, our President now has beef with Warner Bros. Studios because he posted a campaign video that included a selection from The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack.
The video advertisement first appeared on Twitter on Tuesday. It featured Hans Zimmer's "Why Do We Fall," and even used a font from some of the film's advertisements.
Hans Zimmer - Why Do We Fall? (with chant) www.youtube.com
By Wednesday morning, Warner Bros. had threatened legal action. "The use of Warner Bros.' score from The Dark Knight Rises in the campaign video was unauthorized," the company said in a statement. "We are working through the appropriate legal channels to have it removed."
Within a few hours, the video—which had already amassed over 2.3 million views—was taken down. Later, a Trump aide stated that the video had actually been made by a supporter and not the administration itself.
Trump's 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale also had plenty to say on the matter, even arguing that Warner Bros. is "positioning themselves as a weapon of the left."
Sad to see an @ATT owned company pull such a great video made by an every day American in good fun. AT&T now owns… https://t.co/aRHAzkrwCb— Brad Parscale (@Brad Parscale)1554897453.0
This isn't even the first time that Trump has been in hot water over attempts to capitalize on popular culture. He also tried to reference Game of Thrones in his November sanctions announcement, leading HBO to threaten him with legal action.
Image via Rolling Stone
Overall, the Trump clan does not seem to have issues with copying others—after all, it's hard to forget the time Melania Trump effectively stole a speech by Michelle Obama. On the other hand, this is one of the first times that the administration has faced fallout from their legal infringements.
Eden Arielle Gordon is a writer and musician from New York. Follow her on Twitter @edenarielmusic.
POP⚡DUST | Read More...
- Warner Bros: Yes, We're Aware Trump Ripped Off the Dark Knight ... ›
- Warner Bros files copyright claim after Trump shares video with ... ›
- Warner Bros. Goes After Trump For Using 'The Dark Knight Rises ... ›
- Trump 'Dark Knight Rises' campaign video removed after Warner ... ›
- Warner Bros. yanks Trump campaign ad from Twitter over music ... ›
- Warner Bros. to sue over Trump's use of 'The Dark Knight Rises ... ›
- Warner Bros.: Trump used copyrighted music from 'Dark Knight Rises' ›
- Warner Bros takes legal action against President Trump over Dark ... ›
- Warner Bros. makes a copyright claim against a Trump campaign ad ... ›
- Warner Bros. Shut Down Trump's 2020 Video Over Copyright Claim ›