"Did we mention sex?"
Since Hugh Hefner's death in 2017, Playboy's been re-branding itself to appeal to millennials by hiring fine art photographers for high concept photo shoots, naming a gay man and proud Taylor Swift fan as its executive editor, re-committing to printing nudity, and replacing its original motto, "Entertainment for men," with "Naked is normal."
The next issue of the 66-year-old publication will feature Kylie Jenner, the make-up mogul and "self-made billionaire" who was raised before America's eyes on Keeping Up with the Kardashians (you know, that 17-season reality TV show about the millionaires who make their livings as walking Instagram ads, because they're "self-made").
The 22-year-old posted a photo on Instagram of herself and boyfriend Travis Scott (the two share a one-year-old daughter, Stormi). Jenner poses nude in just a cowboy hat, embracing a shirtless Scott for Playboy's "Pleasure" issue. According to Playboy's website, the theme "is a celebration of the things that bring us joy: sex, art, food, music, spiritual connection, travel, cannabis and community. And did we mention sex?"
The magazine adds, "In this issue, we aren't only showcasing the artists and creators who bring us joy; we're also shining a light on visionaries and revolutionaries who are fighting to expand access to pleasure for all."
Even if we put aside our wonderment at what cultural, linguistic, and spiritual rot we're witnessing in the pages of Playboy these days, since when is a "men's lifestyle" and entertainment magazine ever not about "pleasure?" And when did Kylie Jenner become a "visionary?" And if she constitutes one, where is the adult film world's rising auteur, Bella Thorne, who recently directed a "beautiful and ethereal" film as part of P*rnhub's Visionaries Director's series? The questions are endless.
- Is that Lil Nas X's hat?
- How does Kylie manage to look both 17 and 53 at once?
- What does Travis Scott, like, do all day?
- Is this photo a philosophical take on how only nature can nurture true love?
- How much did that watch company pay to be included on Travis Scott's wrist?
- How do we know that's really Kylie?
- Then again, what percentage of Kylie is really Kylie, these days?
- What happens if I sort of dig this?
- Would Gloria Steinem hate me if I kind of dig this?
- Was Kylie Jenner popular in high school?
- How hot was it outside? It looks hot.
- Didn't a cowboy hat make it feel even hotter?
- Why wear a cowboy hat on an already hot day if your hot cakes are out?
- Is "Kylie Jenner" a palindrome?
- Oh. No. "Kylie Jenner" backwards is "renneJ eilyK." What's up with that?
- Why did Travis Scott get to wear clothes?
- Was that a sexist thing? I'd hate to think Kylie was involved with a sexist thing.
- What does their daughter want to be when she grows up?
- If their daughter grows up to be a Playboy bunny, will Travis Scott be fine with that?
- Who's going to send this cover to their daughter on her 18th birthday?
- If art is dead, did Instagram kill it?
- What happens if I think Playboy's "Pleasure" theme sounds pretty cool?
- Also, why does the theme sound like the description for a music festival?
- Is this subliminal advertising for Coachella?
- "Are you there, Coachella? It's me, Kylie": Is that the caption?
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for 'Playboy' With Travis Scott: See Photo ... ›
- Kylie Jenner, Travis Scott Announce Nude 'Playboy' Photo Shoot ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude With Travis Scott for Playboy Cover - XXL ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for Playboy Cover with Travis Scott ›
- Kylie Jenner & Travis Scott Star in Playboy "Pleasure" Issue ›
- Kylie Jenner Poses Nude for 'Playboy' With Boyfriend Travis Scott ... ›
- Kylie Jenner Did a Loving (Tasteful?) Nude Playboy Shoot with ... ›
- Kylie Jenner, Travis Scott tease upcoming Playboy cover with naked ... ›
- Kylie Jenner poses nude with Travis Scott for Playboy ›
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott featured in Playboy - CNN ›
Progressive psych-rock with trippy energy.
Hidden Beams, the Brooklyn alt-electronic project of Carlos Argon, introduces his new single, "Reveal."
The rapper fuses rap, pop, and R&B for his debut. We'll be fusing JPEGs and... that's about it, mostly.
Today marks the release date of NAV's debut album NAV, coming in fresh for fans of the Toronto rapper who found themselves obsessed after his put on of a feature for Travis Scott's "Biebs In The Trap," where we first heard your boy kill the chorus and take over the speaker at your local frat party.
We here at Popdust just listened to the album, and we're ready to supply you with those necessary hot takes, so let's dive in to NAV's self-titled debut album.
First things first, just to clarify that last part, his name is NAV, and the album is also called NAV. Also, the second song on the album is called, you guessed it, "NAV." The chorus is about how he doesn't have to pay for things anymore because you know, he's NAV! Who doesn't love NAV? But enough about that NAV guy, for as we all know every good rap album is an even toss up between the rapper spitting, and the producer behind the general sound of the track, and whoever's produced this is definitely bound to blow. Really, a lot of the songs just pop in a way-
Almost every song is produced by NAV? Is this a special brand of Canadian hell? Goddamn, I can already picture the "Who's On First?"-type conversations I'm going to have requesting this music at parties. The lights are going to be too dim, the music too loud, and right after pushing through countless weird drunk people, I'm gonna have to shout over the speaker that the AUX cord guy is no doubt going to be sitting on top of.
Me: Hey (louder) HEY!
AUX Guy: Hey!
Me: ARE YOU PLAYING MUSIC?
AUX Guy: HUH? YEAH!
Me: COOL! CAN YOU PLAY NAV?
AUX Guy: WHAT? SURE! WHAT SONG?
AUX Guy: I SAID, WHAT SONG?!
AUX Guy: I F*CK WITH NAV! WHICH SONG THOUGH?
Me: PLAY NAV!
AUX Guy: YEAH, I GOTCHU. WHAT'S THE ALBUM?
Ad infinitum, gang.
That aside, album's pretty good! He's got a nice voice, and it's clear that he can jump on a beat and definitely make a poppin' hook for it in no time. Only downside is, in the other parts of songs that aren't the hook, like the verse, or the beginning, or the ending, NAV reveals himself to be a little too generic in content and writing. Most verses should either have a main idea behind them, or at least some hot lines to stick out in people's ears. NAV's doing drugs, bedding women, he's never going to be broke again. So possibly every other mainstream rap album we've heard these days? Not to knock it, obviously I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't like the album, but do not expect the formula to be greatly improved upon.
Personal favorite track so far: "Some Way" ft. The Weeknd
But let's end this review on a good note: as promised, I'm going to be giving y'all a recipe on how to make your very own NAV at home, following these 5 easy steps!
Step 1: Find a photo of DJ Khaled. Any photo will do, I'll be using this one I was able to pick up at Costco in bulk for a low, low price.
Step 2: Import that photo of DJ Khaled into Photoshop. It doesn't have to be Photoshop, any picture editing software will do, as these will be basic transformations.
Step 3: Once you have DJ Khaled, you're going to want to transform the image (meaning change the dimensions of the photo). We're going to be making the photo slimmer by about 50% percent.
Step 4: For this next step, you're going to need a photo of the Canadian flag, importing it into the project you're working on. It doesn't matter where you put it, just plop that sucker right on there! I was able to find mine at a local pharmacy.
Step 5: Now that we've got a skinnier DJ Khaled in touch with his new Canadian roots, we're going to get out a medium sized saucepan, and put it on the stove over medium-low heat. Leaving our laptop in the saucepan overnight for about 9 hours, we'll be pouring eights in a liter in no time! Once you wake up in the morning, you'll be in for a sweet treat.
And… voila! Look at that, our very own NAV! All with these simple instructions, too!
- Nav "Nav" Album Stream, Cover Art & Tracklist | HipHopDX ›
- Nav - NAV [Album Stream] | Stream [New Mixtape] ›
- NAV – NAV [Tracklist + Album Art] Lyrics | Genius Lyrics ›
- NAV by NAV on Apple Music ›
- Metro Boomin and Nav Have a Collaborative Album Dropping in 2017 ›
- Metro Boomin and Nav Have a Collaboration Album on the Way - XXL ›
- Nav Shares Tracklist for Debut Project - XXL ›