The Super Smash community definitely does not consist of a bunch of babies.
For Super Smash Bros. fans, there's no greater feeling of anticipation than in the moments before a Nintendo Direct reveals a new DLC character.
The beauty of Super Smash Bros. is that, despite the series' status as a core Nintendo staple, any character can theoretically join the brawl as long as they originated in the world of video games. Smash, which director Masahiro Sakurai considers a celebration of video games in their entirety, has so much clout that other developers practically fall over themselves to get their characters included. This means that beloved third party characters as diverse as Cloud, Sonic, and Bayonetta can appear alongside Nintendo favorites like Mario, Link, and Pikachu.
As such, fans spend months––even years––speculating about which new characters might be included in upcoming DLC releases. Better yet, Sakurai almost always delivers––he's a huge gaming fan and has a knack for including surprising characters with interesting play styles. On top of including every character from every previous Smash game in the latest installment (alongside a bunch of new faces), the DLC Fighters Pass promised to add five more secret characters to be released over the year(s) following the game's 2018 release.
Four of those characters were added in 2019––Joker from Persona 5, the Hero from all the Dragon Quest games, Banjo from Banjo-Kazooie (a top fan choice for years), and Terry Bogard from King of Fighters.
Then, at long last, it was time for Sakurai to reveal the final DLC character. Would it be Dante from Devil May Cry? Sora from Kingdom Hearts? Or perhaps Genos from Mario RPG?
"WE LOVE BYLETH FROM FIRE EMBLEM: THREE HOUSES," declared the entire Smash fandom in unison. Sakurai had done it again, choosing the perfect character!
No, never mind. The Smash community, as usual, is having a big temper tantrum, hurling insults at Sakurai and downvoting en masse because they didn't get whatever character they decided they were owed.
To be fair, some level of disappointment is understandable. Byleth is the 8th Fire Emblem character to be included in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (after Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, and Chrom), putting it roughly on par with Pokemon for playable character inclusions. Although, also to be fair, the Fire Emblem franchise is one of Nintendo's top-selling properties and, more importantly, every prior new-generation Fire Emblem game has had their lead character feature in Smash. With the recent release and success of Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Byleth was practically a certainty.
Even so, disappointment with a character's inclusion isn't an excuse to lash out against a game's director––something that many a gamer fails to grasp. It's awesome to get the thing you want in a video game, but nothing is owed to you. If you don't like the new character, don't buy them as DLC. If you pre-purchased the DLC, fully understanding the nature of secret characters set to be revealed later, and don't like the ones that were included, too bad––you knew the nature of that purchase when you made it.
So let's get one thing straight:
Disappointment and even memes making fun of Byleth = Fine.
Attacking Sakurai or trying to ruin the enjoyment of other people who are happy about Byleth = Not Fine.
Of course, plenty of other Smash fans are firing back at the more toxic members of their community.
Imagine actually thinking that Sakurai, one of the hardest working game directors possibly in the history of the medium, should be fired because you didn't like a character he included as an extra for the game. The entitlement is astounding.
Oh, and Byleth wasn't even the only reveal. At the end of the Nintendo Direct, Sakurai announced that six more characters will be added in a new second Fighter Pass. Also, Smash will be adding a new Mii Gunner skin that essentially allows users to play as Cuphead. But yeah, Sakurai should definitely still be fired because some Internet babies are pissed.
Stay mad tho.
- Which Smash Ultimate DLC Fighter Will Sakurai Reveal Next? ›
- Why Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was such a daunting game for its ... ›
- Nintendo Versus on Twitter: "Join Super #SmashBrosUltimate ... ›
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC character reveal: Watch it here ... ›
- 'Smash Ultimate' DLC 5 leak: Fans search Sakurai's tweets and find ... ›
- The best thing about the Smash reveal stream: Sakurai called ... ›
- 35-minute Super Smash Bros. Ultimate live stream with Masahiro ... ›
- Fire Emblem hero Byleth joins 'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ... ›
- Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses is Super Smash Bros ... ›
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's next fighter is Byleth from Fire ... ›
- Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses joins Smash Bros. Ultimate ... ›
- Byleth Smash moveset preview: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ... ›
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate Byleth Reveal Trailer Nintendo Direct ... ›
- Byleth Is The New 'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate' DLC Fighter, And ... ›
- Byleth in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! - Reveal Trailer - YouTube ›
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's next fighter is Fire Emblem's Byleth ... ›
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Mr. Sakurai Presents "Byleth ... ›
Cats in tuxedos are here to lend you their strength.
2020 is on fire.
From the COVID-19 pandemic to the racist police epidemic to freaking murder hornets, let's just throw 2020 out. Yes, the entire year.
- Heaviside Layer ›
- Why Tom Hooper Is the Quintessential Director of the 2010's - Popdust ›
- Why “Cats” Is the Cult Movie Classic of the Future - Popdust ›
- Adoptable Animal: Tuxedo Cat Diana Is Dressed for the Ball | PETA ›
- 2020 Tuxedo Cat Ball Postponed - SAFE Haven for Cats ›
- What Exactly Is A Tuxedo Cat? Everything You Need To Know ›
- George Floyd protest arrests live updates from Minneapolis, Atlanta ... ›
- Protests Today Live: News Updates and Video - The New York Times ›
- A Tribute to Tuxedo Cats ›
- Fun Facts about Tuxedo Cats | CANIDAE® ›
- 8 Fun Facts About Tuxedo Cats ›
- THE Hachiware CAT wearing Tuxedo & socks – LINE stickers | LINE ... ›
- How do I get my cat to wear a tuxedo for several hours? - Pets Stack ... ›
Mai Shiranui may be a top tier anime girl, but that doesn't mean she fits in Smash.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game director Masahiro Sakurai loves SNK with a burning passion.
Sakurai made his passion crystal clear throughout his 48-minute Nintendo Direct breakdown of Smash's newest guest DLC character, Terry Bogard from SNK's Fatal Fury and King of Fighters, which almost plays out like a history lesson on SNK as a whole.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Mr. Sakurai Presents "Terry Bogard" www.youtube.com
But after extensively demoing all of Terry's special moves and unique gameplay mechanics and revealing 26 SNK cameo characters and a whopping 50 new SNK music tracks, one glaringly obvious hole seemed to be missing from the SNK Smash collab.
"You may have noticed that a very important character from the Fatal furies series was not included," says Sakurai. "Yes, Mai Shiranui. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is for good boys and girls of many different ages, so we decided not to feature her. Please forgive us."
Indeed, Mai Shiranui, SNK's next-level busty kunoichi and most popular recurring female character, will not be appearing in Smash because, as Sakurai suggested, she's simply too sexy for an all-ages game.
And yes, Smash features Bayonetta who wears skin-tight leather while she open-leg flip kicks. But here's Mai Shiranui's default outfit:
And this is how she moves:
Look, I'm not saying Mai Shiranui shouldn't have made a cameo in Smash. I'm just saying that Sakurai made a conscious decision not to show big bouncing anime boobs to 10-year-olds, and that maybe he made the right call.
- Sakurai Graphic Systems Corporation Sakurai Graphic Systems ... ›
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Mr. Sakurai Presents "Terry Bogard ... ›
- "So, with a possible SNK rep, this is how i imagined Mai's trailer ... ›
- Mai Shiranui Appreciation Topic - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ... ›
- Super Smash Brothers Move Sets (Mai Shiranui) - YouTube ›
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fourth DLC fighter is a SNK character ... ›
- DOA6 Character: Pirates of the 7 Seas Costume - Mai Shiranui on ... ›
- The King of Fighters XIV: 'Mai Shiranui' Theme on PS4 | Official ... ›
- Mai Shiranui ›
- The King of Fighters Mai Shiranui Diorama by Kinetiquettes ... ›
- #maishiranui hashtag on Instagram • Photos and Videos ›
- Mai Shiranui | SNK Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia ›