Warner Bros. Takes Legal Action on Trump Campaign Ad Because of ‘Dark Knight’ Copyright Infringement
This isn't even the first time that Trump has run into trouble with copyright infringement
In the latest installment of the Trump-controlled reality TV show we're all living in, our President now has beef with Warner Bros. Studios because he posted a campaign video that included a selection from The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack.
The video advertisement first appeared on Twitter on Tuesday. It featured Hans Zimmer's "Why Do We Fall," and even used a font from some of the film's advertisements.
Hans Zimmer - Why Do We Fall? (with chant) www.youtube.com
By Wednesday morning, Warner Bros. had threatened legal action. "The use of Warner Bros.' score from The Dark Knight Rises in the campaign video was unauthorized," the company said in a statement. "We are working through the appropriate legal channels to have it removed."
Within a few hours, the video—which had already amassed over 2.3 million views—was taken down. Later, a Trump aide stated that the video had actually been made by a supporter and not the administration itself.
Trump's 2020 campaign manager Brad Parscale also had plenty to say on the matter, even arguing that Warner Bros. is "positioning themselves as a weapon of the left."
Sad to see an @ATT owned company pull such a great video made by an every day American in good fun. AT&T now owns… https://t.co/aRHAzkrwCb— Brad Parscale (@Brad Parscale)1554897453.0
This isn't even the first time that Trump has been in hot water over attempts to capitalize on popular culture. He also tried to reference Game of Thrones in his November sanctions announcement, leading HBO to threaten him with legal action.
Image via Rolling Stone
Overall, the Trump clan does not seem to have issues with copying others—after all, it's hard to forget the time Melania Trump effectively stole a speech by Michelle Obama. On the other hand, this is one of the first times that the administration has faced fallout from their legal infringements.
Eden Arielle Gordon is a writer and musician from New York. Follow her on Twitter @edenarielmusic.
POP⚡DUST | Read More...
- Warner Bros: Yes, We're Aware Trump Ripped Off the Dark Knight ... ›
- Warner Bros files copyright claim after Trump shares video with ... ›
- Warner Bros. Goes After Trump For Using 'The Dark Knight Rises ... ›
- Trump 'Dark Knight Rises' campaign video removed after Warner ... ›
- Warner Bros. yanks Trump campaign ad from Twitter over music ... ›
- Warner Bros. to sue over Trump's use of 'The Dark Knight Rises ... ›
- Warner Bros.: Trump used copyrighted music from 'Dark Knight Rises' ›
- Warner Bros takes legal action against President Trump over Dark ... ›
- Warner Bros. makes a copyright claim against a Trump campaign ad ... ›
- Warner Bros. Shut Down Trump's 2020 Video Over Copyright Claim ›
Meowth is best cat.
Going into Pokemon Sword and Shield, I was unimpressed with the new starter Pokemon.
Meh.The Pokemon Company
I normally gravitate towards fire-type starters, but Cinderace was a little too humanoid-rabbit-wearing-pants for my tastes. Inteleon was just "lol no." Rillaboom hit the closest to my usual favorite powerhouse aesthetic (think Charizard, Blaziken, and Incineroar), but something about him didn't quite feel right (or maybe I just don't connect with grass types?).
- The Pokemon Community Has Gone Toxic Over Sword and Shield ... ›
- "Pokemon Unite": Why Pokemon Fans Will Never Get Their Dream Game - Popdust ›
- Alolan Meowth ›
- Meowth Bundle | Online Exclusive | Pokemon | Build-A-Bear® ›
- Meowth - Wikipedia ›
- Meowth | Pokédex ›
- Meowth - #052 - Serebii.net Pokédex ›
- Meowth Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ... ›
- Meowth (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon ... ›
- Pokemon Sword And Pokemon Shield - New Gigantamax Pikachu ... ›
- 'Pokémon Sword and Shield's Gigantamax Meowth looks a lot like ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX MEOWTH MONEY GUIDE! EASY MONEY in ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX POKÉMON are coming to the Pokémon Sword and ... ›
- How to Get Gigantamax Meowth / Kantonian Meowth in Pokemon ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield: How To Claim Gigantamax Meowth ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield get Fat Pikachu, Longcat Meowth ... ›
- List of Every Gigantamax Pokemon - Pokemon Sword and Shield ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find Gigantamax Meowth ›
The composer for "Peter Rabbit" gives us an inside look on behind-the-scenes of the industry.
Whether it's a pleasure for children or something more grown-up, this composer is able to find the perfect backing track.
The latest adaptation of Peter Rabbit has been a success in the box office, and that is in no small part because of the adventurous scoring work. The man behind this, Dominic Lewis, has a reputation for working on massively successful projects, including the Amazon series The Man in the High Castle and Disney XD's DuckTales, plus a slew of other impressive works in his past.
Lewis spoke with Popdust about what it was like to work on this project and help bring the film to life, as well as his previous experience and a look at what he will be up to in the future.