Why does Twitch content always seem to revolve around man-babies acting out?
The Twitch community has been shaken to its core by the banning of popular streamer Herschel "Dr Disrespect" Beahm, a 39-year-old man who thought filming people in a public restroom at E3 made for good "content."
Dr Disrespect's whole shtick is pretending to be a WWE villain, except instead of performing athletic feats opposite other willing participants, he trash talks randos in Fortnite. Basically, he's like every 14-year-old on the gaming scene, except maybe a little more self-aware. Maybe. His dumbassery was apparently so revolutionary that he won both the Esports Industry Awards' Streamer of the Year and The Gaming Awards' Trending Gamer in 2017.
Just prior to entering the E3 men's bathroom and live streaming people using urinals to tens of thousands of viewers, Dr Disrespect's E3 livestream revolved around him being a douche to random attendees, just like on his gaming stream, but this time in real life! Fellow Twitch streamer TimTheTatman called it the "best content [he] had ever seen...until he walked into the bathroom." Wow, that's pretty high praise from TimTheTatman.
After all, Twitch is all about "content" creators. But just how low is their bar for content? Let's take a look:
Ultimate Streamer Rage Compilation 2018! (Twitch RAGE Moments) www.youtube.com
That was a compilation of popular Twitch users freaking out over video games. It's impossible to determine which ones are entitled man-babies genuinely reacting to losing and which ones are amping it up for the sake of better "content." Not that it really matters which is which. What matters is that on Twitch, this is what passes as "content." And considering their top streamer, Ninja, is the king of adult baby tantrums, that bar is very, very low.
Dr Disrespect's bathroom content may have technically violated Twitch's community guidelines and probably California's "invasion of privacy" law, but its horrendous quality is difficult to parse from any of the other garbage being produced by Twitch's most popular streamers. In that light, maybe TimTheTatman is actually correct. Maybe on Twitch, Dr Disrespect harassing people at a convention really is the best content coming out of the platform.
And that's a shame, because livestreaming has the potential to be so much more than a bunch of children harassing people, whining, and having temper tantrums on camera. Esports and esports players have every right to be taken seriously. Pro gamers are engaging in real competition that requires high levels of talent, skill, and training, same as any other sport. Gaming at that level is solid content in and of itself. So why does the entire gaming community seem to gravitate towards toxic personalities who consistently act out and display poor sportsmanship?
It makes a lot of sense that people enjoy watching other people playing video games––it feels like hanging out and playing games with your friends––but why would anyone want to hang out with any of these assholes?
- Dr Disrespect Banned From Twitch For Streaming From E3 Bathroom ›
- Dr Disrespect Banned From E3 For Streaming From Public ... ›
- Dr. Disrespect Banned from Twitch and E3 After Streaming From ... ›
- Dr Disrespect's Twitch channel suspended and E3 pass revoked ... ›
- Dr. Disrespect Banned From Twitch for E3 Livestream - Green Man ... ›
- DrDisRespect reacts to E3 | E3 Highlights | Part One - YouTube ›
- Twitch Bans 'Dr. DisRespect' After He Livestreams From an E3 ... ›
- Dr Disrespect Streams Inside An E3 Bathroom, Gets Banned From ... ›
- Dr. Disrespect was banned from E3 for streaming inside a bathroom ... ›
- E3 2019: Dr Disrespect Twitch account suspended - CNN ›
Meowth is best cat.
Going into Pokemon Sword and Shield, I was unimpressed with the new starter Pokemon.
Meh.The Pokemon Company
I normally gravitate towards fire-type starters, but Cinderace was a little too humanoid-rabbit-wearing-pants for my tastes. Inteleon was just "lol no." Rillaboom hit the closest to my usual favorite powerhouse aesthetic (think Charizard, Blaziken, and Incineroar), but something about him didn't quite feel right (or maybe I just don't connect with grass types?).
- The Pokemon Community Has Gone Toxic Over Sword and Shield ... ›
- "Pokemon Unite": Why Pokemon Fans Will Never Get Their Dream Game - Popdust ›
- Alolan Meowth ›
- Meowth Bundle | Online Exclusive | Pokemon | Build-A-Bear® ›
- Meowth - Wikipedia ›
- Meowth | Pokédex ›
- Meowth - #052 - Serebii.net Pokédex ›
- Meowth Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ... ›
- Meowth (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon ... ›
- Pokemon Sword And Pokemon Shield - New Gigantamax Pikachu ... ›
- 'Pokémon Sword and Shield's Gigantamax Meowth looks a lot like ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX MEOWTH MONEY GUIDE! EASY MONEY in ... ›
- GIGANTAMAX POKÉMON are coming to the Pokémon Sword and ... ›
- How to Get Gigantamax Meowth / Kantonian Meowth in Pokemon ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield: How To Claim Gigantamax Meowth ... ›
- Pokémon Sword & Shield get Fat Pikachu, Longcat Meowth ... ›
- List of Every Gigantamax Pokemon - Pokemon Sword and Shield ... ›
- Pokémon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find Gigantamax Meowth ›