Should we just Cancel Christmas Specials?
Christmas is an impossible holiday for pop culture to get right.
While there have been some successful hits in recent years, it's worth noting that a successful holiday special is as rare as Santa Claus himself. The outing is practically a guaranteed failure from the jump, and rarely ever pans out the way it's initially intended. From Tabitha Stephens in blackface to Santa Claus being raised on lioness milk, here are the most uncomfortable Christmas specials in history. You may not want to watch them, but you can't look away.
Nestor the Long-Earred Christmas Donkey – 1977
The strange claymation follows "Santa's Donkey" Nestor, who, unlike Santa's other donkey Spieltoe, had massive ears and can't do sh*t. Spieltoe has a slew of responsibilities while Santa is off delivering presents; he watches over the stables and pulls Santa's snowplow, but Nestor is a freak with massive ears who is hated by everyone in the stable except his own mother, who eventually dies. Sorry for the spoiler. When Nestor is kidnapped by Roman soldiers, the donkey escapes and fights to return home, where he meets a young lass named Mary Magdalene. Get it? He's the donkey that delivered Jesus: Ah, Christmas.
- The 30 Weirdest Christmas Songs | SPIN ›
- Neo Yokio: Pink Christmas Netflix Special is Weird, Wondrous ... ›
- 11 of the Most Messed Up Christmas Episodes in Holiday TV History ... ›
- I Think I Found The Weirdest Christmas Movie - YouTube ›
- Top 10 weirdest holiday TV specials of all time | Star Tribune ›
- Every Rankin/Bass Christmas special, ranked ›
- The best, worst and weirdest Christmas TV specials of all time | CBC ... ›
- 11 Odd, Campy, Surreal Holiday Specials That Should Be Classics ... ›
- Top 10 Weirdest Christmas Specials - Listverse ›
- From Pee-wee to Mr. T: The 12 Weirdest Holiday Specials We've ... ›