Gather round the Christmas tree and get ready to cry!
Christmas is supposed to be a time of joy, but sometimes you're not feeling the cheer.
Or maybe you just love sad music and want to get in the holiday spirit. Whatever your reason for listening to melancholy music, there are plenty of devastating Christmas songs to help you cozy up with a cup of spiked cider and the blues. From indie gems to old classics, are our favorites.
1. McCarthy Trenching — Christmas Song
This song (which was later covered by Phoebe Bridgers) is simply devastating.
Christmas Song www.youtube.com
Phoebe Bridgers - Christmas Song (Official Audio) www.youtube.com
2. Julien Baker — Decorated Lawns
Truly, this is sad Christian queer folk in its highest form.
Julien Baker - Decorated Lawns (REMASTERED) www.youtube.com
3. Brent Butler — Brooklyn Christmas Eve
Punk Christmas never sounded so good.
Brooklyn Christmas Eve www.youtube.com
4. Sufjan Stevens — Sister Winter
Our Lonely Man of Winter has millions of options, but this apologetic and devastating song has to take the cake for Stevens' saddest holiday anthem.
Sufjan Stevens - Sister Winter www.youtube.com
5. Elvis Presley — Blue Christmas
Elvis's delivery is so blue, so dreary, so lugubrious, you feel like you're falling into a snowdrift of sadness just hearing him belt out the chorus.
Elvis Presley - Blue Christmas (Audio) www.youtube.com
6. Wham! — Last Christmas
"This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to someone special" has to be one of the sickest burns ever to exist in a Christmas song.
Wham! - Last Christmas (Official Video) www.youtube.com
7. Taylor Swift — Christmases When You Were Mine
Taylor stabs you right in the heart with this saccharine song about missing an ex-lover.
Taylor Swift - Christmases When You Were Mine (Lyrics) www.youtube.com
8. Joni Mitchell — River
Joni Mitchell's mournful reinterpretation of "Jingle Bells" is seasonal depression distilled into sound, and it's four minutes and nine seconds of glittering, devastating brilliance.
Joni Mitchell - River (Official Audio) www.youtube.com
9. NewSong — The Christmas Shoes
It's "Christmas Shoes."
NewSong - The Christmas Shoes www.youtube.com
10. The Everly Brothers — Christmas Eve Can Kill You
Wait, it can?
EVERLY BROTHERS - Christmas Eve Can Kill You (1971) www.youtube.com
11. 7 O'Clock News/Silent Night — Simon and Garfunkel
This song is just "Silent Night" placed over a recording of the news, but as we all know, the news can be hard to listen to—and hearing it played against the soft sounds of Christmas makes the reports of violence and injustice even more difficult to tune out than usual.
7 O'clock News / Silent Night www.youtube.com
12. Prince — Another Lonely Christmas
Another lonely Christmas? How long has this been going on? Plus we all miss Prince.
Another Lonely Christmas www.youtube.com
Though it has no words, it's almost universally agreed that this song just sounds sad. That's actually because the human brain is literally wired to hear the blues in minor chords, and this song has plenty of them.
Greensleeves - best version www.youtube.com
14. Elmo & Patsy — Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
Is Grandma ok??? Are Elmo & Patsy ok? Are any of us ok considering we made this into a Christmas classic?
Elmo & Patsy - Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer www.youtube.com
15. The Carpenters — Merry Christmas Darling
Everyone's favorite California dreamers got extra wistful on this dreary, exquisite number about heartbreak over the holidays.
Merry Christmas, Darling - The Carpenters www.youtube.com
16. Tom Waits — Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
This song gets very real very quickly, but it does contain glimmers of hope.
Tom Waits- Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis (Studio Version) www.youtube.com
17. Marvin Gaye — I Want to Come Home For Christmas
Possibly the saddest song ever written, according to NPR.
I Want To Come Home For Christmas www.youtube.com
18. Darlene Love — Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
What could be sadder than this plea to a lost love?
Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby please come home) www.youtube.com
19. Miley Cyrus — My Sad Christmas Song
The title alone is just so sad.
Miley Cyrus - My Sad Christmas Song www.youtube.com
20. LCD Soundsystem — Christmas Will Break Your Heart
So apparently if Christmas Eve doesn't kill me, then Christmas Day will break my heart, even though last Christmas, I gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, maybe I just won't celebrate Christmas... or maybe I'll start listening to happy music instead.
LCD Soundsystem - Christmas Will Break Your Heart video www.youtube.com
So there you have it — the twenty saddest Christmas songs we know of. However, despite these songs, we hope you have a very merry holiday.
- Sad Christmas Songs | POPSUGAR Entertainment ›
- 20 Of The Saddest Christmas Songs You Will Ever Hear ›
- Have Yourself A Sullen Little Christmas : NPR ›
- 15 Sad Christmas Songs, Ranked on a Scale of 1 to 5 Crying ... ›
- 7 heartbreaking Christmas songs that might make you cry - BBC Music ›
- Christmas Songs in Sad Versions - YouTube ›
- 53 Sad Christmas Songs | Spinditty ›
- The Top 10 Sad Christmas Songs ›
- The 22 Saddest Christmas Songs Of All Time ›
A cultural misunderstanding may be responsible for Shein's swastika necklace scandal...but it's still an awful company
Popular fast-fashion retailer Shein came under fire this week for selling a swastika necklace on their website.
A Chinese company, Shein has become well-known for their inexpensive clothing and accessories, often featured in so-called "haul" videos on YouTube. Shein has since removed the necklace from their site and issued an apology. But screenshots of the faux-gold necklace—listed for between $2.50 and $4.00 as "Metal Swastika Pendant Necklace"— quickly spread on social media, with users expressing their disgust at the apparent insensitivity to what that symbol represents.
To everyone we’ve offended, we’re really sorry... https://t.co/rm6TCgx99K— SHEIN (@SHEIN)1594381498.0
Earlier this month Shein was called out for cultural insensitivity after listing Muslim prayer rugs—some featuring an image of the sacred Kaaba in Mecca—as "Fringe Trim Carpets" for decorative use and for selling traditional Southeast Asian dresses modeled by white women and renamed to remove cultural signifiers.
We are not worthy of dogs.
They're loving, funny, loyal, and perfectly compatible with our desire to document and post everything on the Internet. In fact, one might argue that the Internet's surplus of dog and cat videos is one of the best things about living in our technologically overloaded 21st century. Their excesses of fluff and wide-eyed, unconditional love are salves for all our human faults.
In honor of #InternationalDogDay, here are seven of the best dog videos of all time.
This YouTube classic features a husky named Mishka, who's exceptionally good at...speaking English. The dog truly sounds like she's expressing affection to her owners, and this video sparked tons of copycats from everyone who owns a Siberian.
Do you have any favorite dog videos? Do us all a favor and drop them in the comments below. And remember, adopt, don't shop!
- Boo, 'world's cutest dog,' dies - CNN Video ›
- Cutes dogs | Cutest dog in the world | Cute dogs clips 2016 - YouTube ›
- FUN CHALLENGE: Try NOT to laugh - Funny & cute dogs and kids ... ›
- cutest dog videos Archives | 3MillionDogs ›
- The 7 Most Precious Dog Videos Of All Time (VIDEOS) | HuffPost ›
- LAUGH NOW at the FUNNIEST DOGS - BEST & CUTEST DOG ... ›
- Cute Dog Videos - Home | Facebook ›
- Top 10 Funny and Cute Dog Videos - YouTube ›