On World Suicide Prevention Day: Advice from 8 Celebrities Battling Mental Illness
It's hard to imagine celebrities going through the same everyday problems we do, but the truth is that hundreds of millions of Americans struggle with mental illness, and that doesn't exclude the rich and famous.
Unfortunately, statistics show that approximately half of those people, famous or not, do not seek treatment. This is likely in large part because of the stigma surrounding psychiatric treatment. In reality, mental illness is no different than a physical ailment, in that it's never the patients' fault and it requires care and treatment from a professional. One of the best ways to help combat that stigma is to speak about mental health openly, something more and more people—including actors, musicians, and other public personalities—are doing on social media and otherwise. On this World Suicide Prevention day, check out this list of inspiring celebrities who have opened up about their battles with mental illness.
Lady Gaga - Don't Be Ashamed
Gaga is well-known for speaking up about her anxiety and depression, and she did just that in a recent speech at the Patron of Artists Awards, saying, "We need to share our stories so that global mental health no longer resides and festers in the darkness...When I speak about mental health, especially when I'm speaking about mine, it is often met with quietness. Or maybe, a somber line of fans, waiting outside to whisper to me in the shadows about their darkest secrets. We need to bring mental health into the light."
If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts or behaviors, call the National Suicide Prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255.
- Bell Let's Talk and the Corporatization of Mental Health - Popdust ›
- "Joker" Shows What's Wrong With American Mental Healthcare - Popdust ›
- Celebrities with Mental Illness: Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Mariah ... ›
- 48 Celebrities Who Revealed Their Mental Illnesses To Help Others ... ›
- Famous Bipolar People: 18 Celebrities With Bipolar Disorder ›
- 10 Celebrities Who Struggle With Mental Health | University of Utah ... ›
- Celebrities Who Have Battled Mental Health Issues ›
- Stars Who Have Mental Illnesses; Mental Health Issues | PEOPLE.com ›
- Celebrities who spoke out about their mental health struggles ... ›
- 39 Celebrities Who Have Opened Up About Mental Health ... ›