They can always find a reason to fight—but that's part of their charm
The opening sequence of Netflix's new romcom mystery, The Lovebirds, gives us glimpses of the first sparks of romance.
After a magical first date Jibran (Silicon Valley's Kumail Najiani) and Leilani (Insecure's Issa Rae) can't stop smiling, and they can't seem to leave each other's sides. But after a few moments of that early relationship bliss, we are transported four years into the future, when they are living together and have officially become that couple.
- The Lovebirds Review: Kumail Nanjiani & Issa Rae Lead Netflix ... ›
- The Lovebirds Netflix Ending Explained - What Happened at the ... ›
- 'The Lovebirds' review: Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani star in a low ... ›
- The Lovebirds Is Number One Netflix Movie, Scoob! Leads VOD ... ›
- Netflix Sets Issa Rae-Kumail Nanjiani's 'Lovebirds' for May 22 ... ›
Now available on Netflix fo f*ck you up.
Uncut Gems is the most uncomfortable, stress-inducing film I've maybe ever seen, and it's really, really good.
I had no preconceived notions about this film going in, except it's "supposed to be good" and stars Adam Sandler. It was an odd choice for my dad to want to see it, given he generally hates Sandler's movies. Luckily for him, the former SNL cast member's portrayal of Howard "Howie" Ratner is unlike anything audiences have ever seen him do before. It's not surprising that there is already Oscar buzz surrounding his performance.
- Surprise: Annette Bening, Best Supporting Actress for The Report ... ›
- Before "Uncut Gems" Why Does Adam Sandler Choose Bad Movies ... ›
When it comes to white men, intersectionality oftentimes seems forgotten.
The most popular modern documentaries oftentimes feel like a bastardization of reality TV.
Netflix's wildly successful Tiger King, for instance, crafts a spiraling narrative around the subculture of American big cat collectors, turning two of the community's most prominent players—Joe Exotic and "That B*tch" Carole Baskin—into larger than life characters. It's incredibly entertaining, but the obvious directorial influence on the subjects makes it hard to categorize as entirely truthful or non-sensationalist. Then again, Tiger King's goal isn't to inform. It's to entertain.
- Amazon's SXSW Virtual Collection Launches With 39 Films, 9-Day ... ›
- SXSW 2020: TFW NO GF -- A Visually Innovative but Narratively ... ›
- TFW No GF | Film Threat ›
- SXSW FILM REVIEW: 'TFW No GF' Looks Inside Incels and Troll ... ›
- The SXSW Film Festival is entirely online this year. Here's what to ... ›
- SXSW: "TFW No GF" Is a Surface-Level Look at Internet Trolls | The ... ›
- I tweeted something critical about new incel documentary TFW NO ... ›
- TFW NO GF with Filmmaker Alex Lee Moyer — Other Life - YouTube ›