The Megan Thee Stallion - Tory Lanez Trial Explained
As the Megan Thee Stallion-Tory Lanez trial rages on, things have only gotten more...quizzical. Kelsey Harris took the stand only to plead the fifth...but tapes reveal that Harris explicitly said she saw Tory shoot Megan in the foot. And Megan's bodyguard is allegedly missing after being scheduled to take the stand on Megan's behalf the following day.
What may be the biggest tragedy is that public figures are calling Megan a liar. It began with Drake and 21 Savage's new song, where they mention a girl who lied about being shot. Since the trial, men like 50 Cent and Joe Budden have taken to social media to troll Megan for being a "liar."
If anything, I commend Megan Thee Stallion for having the bravery to go to court and relive her trauma just to get beaten down on the internet. The idea of being "Woman'd" has never been more ubiquitous.
Even if you haven’t paid attention over the past few years to the Megan Thee Stallion and Tory Lanez beef, you’ve undoubtedly heard about this underlying national drama that’s slowly coming to a boil. On July 12, 2020, Los Angeles police reported a woman suffering from a foot injury and a man being arrested on a weapons allegation after the cops had responded to a call about shots being fired in the area.
Prosecutors claim that Megan Pete - AKA Megan Thee Stallion - was shot by Daystar Peterson, known as Tory Lanez. Two long years and a glut of diss-tracks later, Megan is suing Tory for “great bodily injury” after shooting her in the foot. Lanez pleaded “not guilty” in November 2020…but oh boy does it only get messier from here.
So. The trial began this week and a battle of he-said-she-said has commenced. If you’ve missed the past few days of drama and conflicting statements…don’t you worry.
Here’s everything you need to know:
- The defense, led by George Mgdesyan, is arguing that the altercation was caused by Megan’s jealousy of longtime former friend, Kelsey Harris.
- Both Megan and Harris have had relationships with Tory Lanez
- Lanez claims the women have always had jealousy issues…citing Megan sleeping with Harris’ exes Ben Simmons and DaBaby
- Kelsey Harris and Tory Lanez both tested positive for gun residue
- Harris is set to testify in support of Megan (at some point)
- Defense seems to imply that Harris was the shooter
- Prosecution, led by Alexander Bott, argues that Lanez shot Megan because she insulted his music abilities
There have been many accusations from Lanez that Megan Thee Stallion is lying about being shot…despite X-Rays showing bullet fragments in her foot. Kelsey Harris also texted Megan’s bodyguard that morning “Help. Tory shot Meg.” So there’s that.
Only time will tell what the verdict is…but we’re hoping this brings some closure for Megan Thee Stallion, who has been open about her mental health struggles amongst this wild chaos.