Oprah Winfrey also removed her interviews with James Safechuck and Wade Robeson from YouTube, in the latest development in the Michael Jackson allegations saga.
In the HBO documentary "Leaving Neverland," James Safechuck claims he was abused by Michael Jackson between 1988 and 1992 in a room inside a railway station on Jackson's California ranch.
However, a new aerial photo has revealed that the train station was not actually built until 1993.
The 1993 GETTY photograph. Image via The Sun.
The director of "Leaving Neverland," Dan Reed, tweeted his support for Safechuck soon after the photo's reveal.
1. James Safechuck was at Neverland both before and after the construction of the train station there. The two stil… https://t.co/bUh3PLd9hf— Dan Reed (@Dan Reed)1554367944.0
2. #leavingneverland also makes clear that sexual contact between James and #MichaelJackson continued until James S… https://t.co/g4riqz5H5Z— Dan Reed (@Dan Reed)1554368007.0
One of Jackson's biographers, James Sullivan, also alleged that there was a train station on the estate in 1990—but his description was questioned by fellow Jackson biographer Mike Smallcombe, who asserted that Sullivan never actually visited the ranch and instead based his description on a 2003 video.
Smallcombe tweeted, "A handful of people are citing something in Randall Sullivan's book saying Neverland's train station existed in 1990. Sullivan assumed the station was there then—his description of what Neverland might have looked like to visitors then, is based on a 2003 sheriff's dept video." Sullivan also sourced the construction permits for the 1993 train station, which proved the building work was approved in September '93.
I'm inundated with messages about a couple of mock-up tabloid stories regarding the Neverland train station - again… https://t.co/Yuzv8fcjkf— Mike Smallcombe (@Mike Smallcombe)1554815465.0
Since the image's reveal, HBO has announced that it will be pulling the documentary from its services this week, though it was originally supposed to remain through September. However, this might be because of the Estate of Michael Jackson's aggressive lawsuit against the service, which began back in early March.
In addition, Oprah Winfrey has removed her extensive interviews with James Safechuck and Wade Robeson from her YouTube channel. During the emotional, three-hour conversations, mostly broadcast to an audience of sexual abuse survivors, she said, "don't let anybody in your world make it about what Michael Jackson did or do not do. It's about this thing, this insidious pattern that's happening in our culture that we refuse to look at." She still received harsh blowback for the interviews, which largely avoided questions about factual evidence. As of this week, the interviews have been removed from her channels along with her tweets that were critical of Jackson.
Many have speculated that Winfrey's actions are part of an attempt to temper the backlash; for example, Jackson's brother, Jermaine, called her out online for "taking #LeavingNeverland at face value, shaping a narrative uninterested in facts, proof, credibility." Some have also speculated that she might be trying to safe keep her new partnership with Apple's streaming service.
Oprah Says 'Sorry' For Michael Jackson Slander Deletes All Neverland Tweets www.youtube.com
So many in media, inc @Oprah, blindly taking #LeavingNeverland at face value, shaping a narrative uninterested in f… https://t.co/k3OnPh6bSO— Jermaine Jackson (@Jermaine Jackson)1551736843.0
Regardless of the truth, there's a dizzying amount of money, power, and tangled storylines at play in this case, and it's unlikely we'll receive definitive answers anytime soon.
Eden Gordon is a writer and musician from New York City. Follow her on Twitter @edenarielmusic.
POP⚡DUST | Read More...
- Sundance Adds Michael Jackson Sexual Abuse Documentary ... ›
- Should We Stop Listening to Michael Jackson Music? - Popdust ›
- Oprah, "Neverland," and a Lot of Casting: This Week in TV - Popdust ›
- 'Leaving Neverland': Shocking Moments From Michael Jackson Doc ... ›
- 'Leaving Neverland': How to watch the shocking Michael Jackson ... ›
- 10 Undeniable Facts About the Michael Jackson Sexual-Abuse ... ›
- 'Leaving Neverland' Director Dan Reed Compares Michael Jackson ... ›
- Michael Jackson Cast a Spell. 'Leaving Neverland' Breaks It. - The ... ›
- Leaving Neverland (2019) | Official Trailer | HBO - YouTube ›
- 'Leaving Neverland' and Michael Jackson? ›
- UCLA gymnast removes Michael Jackson from routine music after ... ›
- Leaving Neverland - Wikipedia ›
- Michael Jackson 'Leaving Neverland': The 5 most shocking allegations ›