It's the indie rock trio's first new song in nearly a decade.
After nearly a decade of silence, a new song from Bright Eyes has landed.
"Persona Non Grata" marks the indie rock trio's first new music since their 2011 record, The People's Key, but they've been hinting at a return for the past few months. Back in January, Conor Oberst and company launched their Instagram page and subsequently announced their signing to Dead Oceans, the label home of indie heroes like Mitski, Japanese Breakfast, and Kevin Morby.
Despite their years away, "Persona Non Grata" feels like a return to form for Bright Eyes, whose pioneering of mid-2000s emo-folk paved the way for recent like-minded acts like Pinegrove and Hop Along. The song's title, literally translating to "unwelcome person," is a term used in diplomacy for foreign people forbidden to enter or remain in a country. Oberst, it seems, has altered the term to apply to himself. "I'm the last of the best / I'm the thoughts in the swamp," he sings in his characteristic quiver.
The rocking ballad is driven by a waltzy piano, as bagpipe-like blares occasionally take over. It's somber and evocative, and it marks a welcome comeback for Bright Eyes. Listen below.
Bright Eyes - Persona Non Grata (Official Visualizer) www.youtube.com
- Lewis Capaldi to Star in New YouTube Originals Series 'Birthday ... ›
- Bright Eyes - Albums, Songs, and News | Pitchfork ›
- Bright Eyes breaks out the bagpipes for "Persona Non Grata," ›
- Bright Eyes Share “Persona Non Grata,” First New Song in 9 Years ... ›
- New Mystery Poster : brighteyes ›
- Bright Eyes' first single in nine years, “Persona Non Grata,” is out ... ›
- The band Bright Eyes is pretty awesome. ›
- Cinnamon - Petals for Armor - Hayley Williams on Spotify ›
- some parts are off limits but I'd give them to you ›
- Bright Eyes Are Counting Down To The Premiere Of Their First New ... ›
- Bright Eyes announce reunion and live dates | The FADER ›
- Persona Non Grata by Bright Eyes (Single): Reviews, Ratings ... ›
- Bright Eyes - Persona Non Grata (Official Visualizer) - YouTube ›
- Bright Eyes Tease 'Persona Non Grata' for Tuesday 3/24 ›
Cats in tuxedos are here to lend you their strength.
2020 is on fire.
From the COVID-19 pandemic to the racist police epidemic to freaking murder hornets, let's just throw 2020 out. Yes, the entire year.
- Heaviside Layer ›
- Why Tom Hooper Is the Quintessential Director of the 2010's - Popdust ›
- Why “Cats” Is the Cult Movie Classic of the Future - Popdust ›
- Adoptable Animal: Tuxedo Cat Diana Is Dressed for the Ball | PETA ›
- 2020 Tuxedo Cat Ball Postponed - SAFE Haven for Cats ›
- What Exactly Is A Tuxedo Cat? Everything You Need To Know ›
- George Floyd protest arrests live updates from Minneapolis, Atlanta ... ›
- Protests Today Live: News Updates and Video - The New York Times ›
- A Tribute to Tuxedo Cats ›
- Fun Facts about Tuxedo Cats | CANIDAE® ›
- 8 Fun Facts About Tuxedo Cats ›
- THE Hachiware CAT wearing Tuxedo & socks – LINE stickers | LINE ... ›
- How do I get my cat to wear a tuxedo for several hours? - Pets Stack ... ›
In the wake of one of the most dramatic scenes of protest in American history, disinformation is blending with genuine fear
Over the weekend, amid nationwide protests of police brutality sparked by the killing of George Floyd, demonstrators in D.C. clashed with secret service and police outside the White House.
It was a dramatic scene that involved fires being set in the basement of historic St. John church—among widespread arson—and the exterior White House lights being turned off as President Donald Trump was moved into lockdown in the the White House Bunker. But by Monday morning the real events had been swallowed up in the heightened narrative of the supposed D.C. blackout, which claimed that all communication from the area of the protests had been shut down since around 1:00 AM.