It's hard to imagine celebrities going through the same everyday problems we do, but the truth is that hundreds of millions of Americans struggle with mental illness, and that doesn't exclude the rich and famous.
Unfortunately, statistics show that approximately half of those people, famous or not, do not seek treatment. This is likely in large part because of the stigma surrounding psychiatric treatment. In reality, mental illness is no different than a physical ailment, in that it's never the patients' fault and it requires care and treatment from a professional. One of the best ways to help combat that stigma is to speak about mental health openly, something more and more people—including actors, musicians, and other public personalities—are doing on social media and otherwise. On this World Suicide Prevention day, check out this list of inspiring celebrities who have opened up about their battles with mental illness.
Halsey - Embrace Your Strengths (and Weaknesses)
Ashley Nicolette Frangipane, known by her stage name Halsey, was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at age 17. Since beginning her career as Halsey, Frangipane has been committed to a mental hospital twice. She told Elle, "The thing about having bipolar disorder, for me, is that I'm really empathetic. I feel everything around me so much. I feel when I walk past a homeless person, and I feel when my friend breaks up with someone, or I feel when my mom and my dad get into a fight and my mom's f*ckin' crying over dishes in the sink. I used to say to her all the time, like, 'I hate this. I want to be naïve. I want to be worried about my prom dress. I want to be worried about getting my math homework done. I want to be like everyone else my age,' and she would say, 'Would you rather be blissfully ignorant or would you rather be pained and aware?' That was one of the things that's kind of followed with me through my whole life. She's encouraging of what I'm doing because she knows that even if sometimes I might be in pain, I'm aware."
If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts or behaviors, call the National Suicide Prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255.
- Celebrities with Mental Illness: Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Mariah ... ›
- 48 Celebrities Who Revealed Their Mental Illnesses To Help Others ... ›
- Famous Bipolar People: 18 Celebrities With Bipolar Disorder ›
- 10 Celebrities Who Struggle With Mental Health | University of Utah ... ›
- Celebrities Who Have Battled Mental Health Issues ›
- Stars Who Have Mental Illnesses; Mental Health Issues | PEOPLE.com ›
- Celebrities who spoke out about their mental health struggles ... ›
- 39 Celebrities Who Have Opened Up About Mental Health ... ›
Here are our picks from Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video to distract you from real-life dread.
When the real world is growing increasingly bleak, goofy comedies are often the best remedy.
There are plenty of movies to watch, but sometimes, hard-hitting dramas are a little too unsettling, which is why we've assembled a list of 18 of our favorite goofy comedies to distract you from the existential dread. Whether your streaming platform of choice is Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu, there's a side-splitting comedy for you.
- 60 Best Rom-Coms of All Time - Best Funny Romantic Movies ›
- Couch Comfort: 12 truly goofy comedies you can stream | Newsday ›
- The 30 Best Comedies on Amazon Prime Right Now (May 2020) ›
- 30 Best Comedy Movies to Stream Right Now | Glamour ›
- 26 Best Comedies on Netflix 2020 - Funniest Movies to Stream Now ›
- The 50 Best Comedies on Netflix Right Now (May 2020) ›
It's always a good time to go down memory lane.
What better way to spend your time than to go down memory lane?
Lots of great music is turning 10 this year, but music videos are a whole other category of nostalgia. Below, here are just a few of our favorite music videos from 2010 to make you miss the good old days of destroyed denim, the best of Kanye West before his "crazy motherf*cker" days, and Katy Perry wearing a whipped cream bra.
Florence and the Machine, “Dog Days Are Over”
- The 20 Best Music Videos Of The 2010s - Stereogum ›
- The Top Music Videos of 2010 | Pitchfork ›
- The 20 Best Music Videos of the 2010s (So Far) | Billboard ›
- The 50 Best Music Videos of the Decade So Far (2010-2014 ... ›
- 50 Best Music Videos Of 2010 | NME ›
- The 100 Greatest Music Videos of the 2010s: Staff Picks | Billboard ›